Mountain Project Logo

Easiest beginner crags in San Diego County

Original Post
Teedge · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

What are some of the easier spots in San Diego? I've spent a little time in the gym, but really want to explore outdoors. Please advise. Thanks.

steverett · · Boston, MA · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 105

Mission Gorge has some easy stuff, and you can set up topropes without much difficulty.

There's not many crags in SD in general.

plantmandan · · Brighton, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 85

Mission Gorge is a good place to start for sport climbing. Poway Crags is another decent spot for sport and toproping, albeit farther away. Santee Boulders is another good spot to play around on the rock, preferably if you have a crash pad.

If you are new to climbing, I would recommend "How to Rock Climb" by John Long. It's an invaluable resource. Climbing outdoors is much different from going to the gym, and there is a lot to learn.

J Sundstrom · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 188
steverett wrote:There's not many crags in SD in general.
There are plenty of crags if you're up for a hike and can lead multiple pitches on bolts or gear.

If you're looking to toprope only, your choices are more limited: Mission Gorge is probably your best bet but there's some easy single pitch stuff at Corte Madera that's toprope-able, more if you can lead on bolts.
Teedge · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Thanks folks!

Blurie . · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined May 2016 · Points: 15

Dixon lake is a good option too, especially to practice slinging trees and boulders. The 3 minute walk is pretty sweet.

Danny Poceta · · Canmore · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 98

Mission Gorge, to me, would be the obvious first place to check out. Get to woodson soon too for anchor building and crack climbing practice.

I would never advise a new outdoor to climber visit a place like Corte Madera. You're a long way from help if shit goes down in there.

If you don't have access to a local guidebook, visit climbingtoposofsandiego.com/ for good route info.

WoodyW · · Alaska · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 70
Danny P wrote: I would never advise a new outdoor to climber visit a place like Corte Madera. You're a long way from help if shit goes down in there..
Ditto!!! Don't bother going out there since you're so new.

Definitely go to Mission gorge. Lunch rock has quite a few easy routes for a newbie. Girlfriend and I are headed out there on saturday morning(5th). She's a rookie. If you have a partner & gear, I can lead and set you up on a top rope.
J Sundstrom · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 188

Bleh! Sorry, didn't mean to suggest it as a destination for the newbie, only that moderate single pitch sport that is toprope-able exists there.

So ya, don't go there unless you're with someone who's keen to the game.

Johnny Ink · · Portland · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 245

Mission control 5.7 at Mission Gorge son.  My first sport lead.

Jason Kim · · Encinitas, CA · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 255

Man Johnny it's been a long time!!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Easiest beginner crags in San Diego County"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started