Mountain Project Logo

Crags are NOT Gyms!

Original Post
Brian L. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 90

I was climbing up at Muir Valley yesterday. I saw at least 50 neon clad gumbies and at one point there were more gumbies than climbers at a wall. All day I had gumbies clogging up routes, and blasting loud music, and every time I tried to eat I would have a group of gumbies screaming down the crag at one another, disturbing my peace. Not to mention there was toilet paper and crap everywhere. The answer to this problem is simple. People either need to not bring their gym friends to the crag or keep them leashed were they cannot bother anyone and pick up after them. I feel like this is obvious.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

We should ban climbing, but that is not going to happen. We will just accept climbing has changed or fight the power and start chopping bolts.

CTdave · · Victor, Id. · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 221

All I'm hearin is wah wah wah. But seriously your post should do alot of good in preventing the mess you describe. I bet the next time you go to the crag it'll be completely differant.

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86

Well it is Muir Valley. FOMV really should have a Wag Bag program since people do poop all over the place. With so many people that is a lot of poop.

Forrest Williams · · Denver · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 25

OP you need to work on establishing dominance at crags. Next time send as hard of a route as you can while grunting and then hop on something too hard for you and take a hero whip. This should establish your role of top crag dog. If this doesn't make gumbies kneel before you then your probably one of them...

Alexander Stathis · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 656

Rock climbing is an OUTDOOR activity, and furthermore, it's out in the wilderness far, far away from towns and civilizations. You can keep gumbies out of restaurants and grocery stores --- but guess what -- out in the woods fair is fair.

If you want to go climbing out in the woods, deal with a few gumbs running around being healthy and enjoying life. Stop trying to control every single aspect of all moments of your life. We win this argument. You don't own the woods.

Tradster · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 0

We were all gumbies once in our lives. Hopefully we all evolve from that status...

BrianWS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 790

Don't want to climb with "gumbies"? Climb at harder crags.

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016

Try pepper spraying all the gumbies. That should work.

Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110

And they bring their damn horses which are worse than dogs

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340
Brian L. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 90
NorCalNomad wrote:And they bring their damn horses which are worse than dogs
Haha! You win the internet today!
Toad · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0
Alexander Stathis wrote:If you want to go climbing out in the woods, deal with a few gumbs running around being healthy and enjoying life. Stop trying to control every single aspect of all moments of your life. We win this argument. You don't own the woods.
This is an important insight.

But to be fair, I bet Muir was an absolute shitshow. It was a shitshow 5 years ago and I bet it's ten times worse now.
Sam Stephens · · PORTLAND, OR · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 1,090

You're at one of the most popular crags at one of the most popular climbing areas in the nation, if not the world. Deal with it.

Or just climb harder than 5.10 and you'll get away from them. The choice is yours, quit being a soft body or deal with the gumbys

Tim Lau · · Hendersonville, NC · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 20

Just an observation from a new climber.....y'all are obsessed with poop.

The guides I've hired to learn from all mention that they have TP.
The locals I've hooked up with all tell me they are carrying TP.

I've spent a lifetime outdoors....hunting, fly fishing back country areas, backpacking, etc. and have never had so much poo-centric concerns flung around before.

Unless you're out overnight, do your business at home!

Sam Stephens · · PORTLAND, OR · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 1,090

Go try pulling real hard when you're clenching your cheeks after that greasy breakfast your partner cooked after hiking in 2 miles from the nearest facilities. Sometimes you just have to poop

Adam Ronchetti · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2011 · Points: 25

Next time you're in the red go to Miller Fork. Or if you have to go to Muir go to the Solarium. There isn't much there easier than 5.10 in the whole former and I thin 11a is the easiest at the later. Problem solved. You'll probably still have to wait for popular routes. But sadly the gumbies have taken over the more reasonable areas of Muir.

Which is why I will never go back to Bruise Brothers.

EthanC · · Bay Area, CA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 253

If you want to climb at one of the easier, most accessible crags in the country on a beautiful fall weekend in the Red on Halloween, probably best prepare yourself to see the washed masses. The only other option is to convince people to stop climbing (or institute the purge). Good luck with both.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Sounds like a literal shitshow. Have to say I've never seen people pooping in the crag, or found toilet paper at the gym, for that matter, so I think your rant got a little off topic. There's even a bathroom at Muir, and it's nicer than the ones at Miguel's!

Stagg54 Taggart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 10
Brian L. wrote:I was climbing up at Muir Valley yesterday. I saw at least 50 neon clad gumbies and at one point there were more gumbies than climbers at a wall. All day I had gumbies clogging up routes, and blasting loud music, and every time I tried to eat I would have a group of gumbies screaming down the crag at one another, disturbing my peace. Not to mention there was toilet paper and crap everywhere. The answer to this problem is simple. People either need to not bring their gym friends to the crag or keep them leashed were they cannot bother anyone and pick up after them. I feel like this is obvious.
Agreed. People who bring gumbies are as bad as people who bring dogs or babies. Leave all your trash at home people!!
John mac · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 105

Dog and Gumby...

youtu.be/l7op92W7voE

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Crags are NOT Gyms!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started