Mountain Project Logo

Crags are NOT Dog Parks

frank minunni · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined May 2011 · Points: 95
beau Griffith wrote:If I am elected president of Mountain Project I promise to build a wall between all dogs and all crags.
You have my vote
Tradster · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 0

If you are at a crag with all those dogs, you are at a too popular place. Walk further and see less people and canines. I love my dog, but he stays home when cragging. He doesn't like being tethered while I climb, and I don't blame him. When he wants some good, quality outdoor time, I find him a nice stream or nice long hike to take him on. He's happy, I'm happy and nobody is bitching about him stepping on ropes, shitting somewhere inappropriate, or drooling over someone's sammich.

jon bernhard · · Buena Vista, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 286

Thanks for posting.

These days I bring a big wall hammer ready to fend off dogs.
And yes, PETA, I have used said hammer on dogs to prevent injury from attack.

Be a climber not a dog park hippie

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
davedad · · Carbondale, CO · Joined May 2009 · Points: 0

I know that these threads are fertile ground for the worst aspects of human nature. That said, it would be great if dog owners/dog haters could all look at the access implications of dogs at crags. Dogs are tough on wildlife. A dozen dogs at a crag also make losing access to public land a lot more likely. There are loads of well-behaved, appropriately leashed dogs at crags. There are loads of poorly behaved, unleashed pooping all over the place dogs at crags. This same could be said of climbers at the cliffs. As the sport grows more popular we all need to reign in our inner libertarian "I can do what I want" attitude so everyone continues to have access. Please leash your dogs, and train your children and badly behaved hungover partners to be respectful at the crag. And please leave the Ipod and speakers for the club, not the crag.

George W · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 6

Threats of violence will only lead to more violence. Assertive communication is effective communication, so learn this phrase,"please control your dog." If said person does not interpret that effectively, make eye contact, and instruct them to leash their dog and/or leave. This will probably work better than passive aggressive behavior on the forums.

I am a dog owner and I will continue to bring her because she's well-behaved. She is leashed, and unable to access anyones personal space. I pickup her poop. She belongs with me in the wilderness as much as any of my friends.

Pepper spray my dog and I'll spray you, kill my dog and I'll kill you. Court fees will be expensive, but I'll plead insanity.

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340
George W wrote:...., but I'll plead insanity.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3Stz0Nkx8ik
youtu.be/3Stz0Nkx8ik
James Hicks · · Fruita, CO · Joined May 2012 · Points: 131
J Marsella wrote:what about crag babies? is it OK to pepper spray those little beasts or what?!
I think all the states handle it differently. I tend to go for the subtle but effective "oops I tripped and knocked your crag baby off the cliff". That way you have plausible deniability. Don't wanna get sued over that shit. Plus, if they have a cool crag dog you can steal it while they go recover said crag baby. Crag dogs are cooler than crag babies anyway.
djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110

The problem is mostly the owners fault. They have a poorly trained dog who steals food sniffs people crotch jumps on people tries to squeeze between people tries to push in front of people. The rude owner simply makes excuses for their poorly trained Pet. I really just want to say fuck you and fuck your dog

A. Michael · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40

I usually think climbers are cooler than regular people, but then threads like this appear...

I was climbing a few weeks ago with 4 kids and two unleashed dogs spread across three unrelated parties in the same small base area, and we all got along fine all day. Amazing.

khalifornia · · Colorado · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

Glad to see this topic came up again. :-/

Went to shelf road recently. Can't believe how many dogs are there these days. Id never take my dogs there...they are clumsy goobers that would end up full of cacti. Plus they both whine and get stressed whenever the leader leaves the ground. But thats just my dogs...

Jeff Montgomery · · Colorado · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 186

Did the OP expect anything other than excuses and threats of violence in response to self-defense from those who are the problem in the first place? In the absence of law enforcement, your choice is to climb somewhere else.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Notice you never hear about the bad habits of crag cats? Hmmmmmm....

Petch · · Lover's Leap, CA · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 35
Once you go poodle, you don't go back!
Poodles are people too!
sherb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 60

Yes, there are tons of dogs at Shelf. I was at Shelf a couple years ago and a fight broke out where one dog bit and ripped the ear of another dog. The ripped-ear dog had blood all over him.

I say I don't like dogs, mostly due to the entitled attitude of the owners, but then I can't help but feed them. A couple weeks ago I was eating a roast beef sandwich after a route and this dog was looking at me. The owners were out of sight on the climb and so I kept feeding this dog roast beef sandwich. I figured, if they are going to bring their dog to the crag I don't need to ask them permission to feed it! So suck it!

PS the dog was not loyal to its owners and was ready to go home with me.

Babies... I like them less than crag dogs because I don't even get the enjoyment of petting someone's baby and can't feed them either.

SRB25 · · Woodside, ca · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 5

^^^ Haha. This is funny.

Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 215

Dogs are useless these days. Most of them can't hunt, can't track, can't protect, they just eat and shit. And on top of that they're basically reduced to prisoners spending most of their time in confined spaces, no wonder they don't behave when owners take them outside.
Babies on the other hand are the best. I know because I have one.

Russ Keane · · Salt Lake · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 392
Fehim Hasecic wrote:...they're basically reduced to prisoners spending most of their time in confined spaces
Exactly. This is why we bring our dogs climbing! To give them release, exercise, and fresh air! This issue is a no-brainer.
Gunks . · · Gunks, NY · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 195

You are right. Crags are not dog parks. My dog hates dog parks. She loves to climb.

Gunsight to South Peak

Leslie H · · Keystone · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 415
BigB wrote:I wish all my dawgs would quit bringing their ill behaved humans to the crag, I mean with all the trash, TP, radios, obnoxious beta, and bolts you'd think it was a gym or something...... w00f
Priceless, B!!!
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Crags are NOT Dog Parks"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started