Mountain Project Logo

Climbing in November???

Original Post
John The Wolf · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 50

I'm new to the west coast and eager to climb but I think I may have missed the season a bit.

I'm based in Vancouver and have the next week free. I'm looking for a spot within an 8 hour drive where I could meet up with people and climb in dryish weather. Bonus if there is mountain biking or ski touring available.

Any ideas?

Brian Prince · · reno · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 2,727

Pick a spot that looks cool and check the forecast dude. Maybe Smith?

ROCKMAN2 · · Nederland, CO · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 300

Smith for sure

Gavin W · · NW WA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 181

Vancouver, WA, or Vancouver BC?
If BC, Skaha provincial park fits the bill as far as dry climbing goes.

Vancouver BC

Brian, the thing is that I don't know the spots really well, hence the need for suggestions!

Smith was on the list, I'll look into Skaha aswell, thanks.

Addy Ee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 5

Skaha is open till mid-Nov! John, if you decide on Skaha, send me a message? I am in the area and looking to climb, coming off injury and will stick to 5.10s for now.

Skaha could be cool, a friend of mine suggested Leavenworth and we are looking into that but 5.10 would be great for me. I'll keep you posted!

Dan Cooksey · · Pink Ford Thunderbird · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

If you're in vancouver keep a day to day eye on the weather. Squamish is known to have some nice pockets of good weather from time to time.

Leavenworth washington, and Vantage Washington both can be beautiful in November. They are west of the cascades so they are much much drier.

Dan Cooksey wrote:If you're in vancouver keep a day to day eye on the weather. Squamish is known to have some nice pockets of good weather from time to time. Leavenworth washington, and Vantage Washington both can be beautiful in November. They are west of the cascades so they are much much drier.
About that, I was reluctant to go to Squamish on a nice day (the few we've had), thinking that it might not have enough time to dry in a day. Are there any crags there that are know for faster drying times?

Thanks for the info on Leavenworth and Vantage. It seems like things are headed towards Skaha so far!
Dan Cooksey · · Pink Ford Thunderbird · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

John,

Squamish is jam packed and litered with climbing. If you Boulder the thick tree cover keeps a number of areas dry enough to climb, especially on the overhanging stuff. The sport climbing at muren is covered in places and can be dry at times. The sport in cheekamus Canyon is exposed and should dry quick in the sun, plus there are massive overhanging routes if you climb 5.13 and above. There are also some 5.11 to 5.12 stuff covered by large roofs.

The chief I am affraid will need a few days to dry out, mostly because of seepage in the cracks and run off from above.

Don't dismiss leavenworth and Vantage. They're great winter destination. Leavenworth a little more conditions dependant but vantage is usually good all winter.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Climbing in November???"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started