Mountain Project Logo

weekend adventure vehicle

kevin graves · · Mammoth Lakes, CA · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 5

Other considerations: Dodge Ecodiesel at 29mpg ? Chevy Colorado Duramax Diesel at 30mpg ? These are highway miles but pricing on these is close to new Tacoma (23mpg). Any of these with a shell is the time tested best setup for climbers who also have everyday lives (weekend warriors). If mpg isn't main consideration and cost is; then any used 4wd truck with shell is a super reliable solution. If cold weather; consider long bed so you can close up tailgate and camper shell door.

simplyput . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60

+1 for truck+camper combo, especially if it's mostly weekend trips. In my experience it's just like tent camping without the tent set up and inclement weather hassle. You still get to cook outside and, you know, really commune with the naturegoddessmother. Throw a tarp or some other canopy system off the back and you're plush.
They also work well for stealth camping in residential/city areas since, to the average beat cop, it's really just a truck parked in front of a house.
All that being said, I'm also really into the AWD Astro Vans and would like to build one of those out someday.

Dylan Pike · · Knoxville, TN · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 488

Get a full size pickup. You could totally find a 4x4 F150 or Silverado in that price range.

I drive a double cab Silverado with a 6.5 foot bed. I have a queen size Mattress under my shell. I get 23 mpg with a 6cyl engine. I have way more room than my buddies who drive tacos. The tacomas perform better in truly off road conditions, but I rarely need to romp like that.

Also that defender is badass.

Tristan Higbee · · Pocatello, ID · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 2,970
Eric K wrote:Also, are there any of you who are using an SUV for this type of stuff, hows that working out?
Yep. Works awesome. I have a 4WD 2011 RAV4 and have spent hundreds of nights in it. I have a blog and even wrote a book (link to it on the blog) about what I call SUV RVing. 24 MPG city and 31 MPG highway. Super easy to drive and park. Plenty of room inside for me and all of my stuff. For a second person, you'd probably want to add a rooftop cargo box.

And as far as having gear inside when you're sleeping in it, a great solution is a shelf. Make a shelf in the back. While you're driving, the stuff goes under the shelf. When you're ready to sleep, the stuff goes on top of the shelf to make room for your legs. Here's a pic:

Big plastic bins working with the shelf

Let me know if you have any other questions about it.
Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

Sprinter 4x4 is the dream. i could park my astro in the back of a sprinter... realisticly may have to settle for a promaster FWD.. Things that I knew and was reminded of liveing in a van w/ 2 people most of the summer.
1. liveing space is key in bad weather and extreme bug situations. The ability to put your pants on standing up and cook indoors. Comfortably play live wooden music inside. I had that in my Vanagon Syncro but not in the Astro.
2. Storeage space is key. The cargo box on the roof saved the day but it was still tight after a few weeks.

3. I like vans where you do not have to exit the vehicle to crash or leave a bivy spot in hurry. The main drawback I see with a bigger camper on the back of a truck is set up and take down for the pop top and not able to enter the cab or camper without exiting the vehicle. 4x4 sprinter has massive clearance and tons of room... Big bucks and just a dream....... The astro is very good off road!

Bear Tooth Pass

Andrew Davidson · · Lake Stevens, WA · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 1,560

I have to second the recommendation for the Honda Element. Its got the space. We had the eCamper conversion which is pretty sweet. Can be opened and taken down without getting out of the car and takes less than 2 minutes.

Element eCamper

Element eCamper Vantage

E350 is not as big inside as a sprinter?

I want that height and length. had an opertunity to buy a chevy express 4x4 diesel w/ locking hubs this fall. It was the 12 passenger with all the windows so I let is slip away. modern high top van has the room to have lots of overhead storeage as well as under bed storegae and you still have lots of headroom over the bed. The extra length lets you build a kitchen with lots of storeage that is far enough away from the bed that you don't have cooking debris splatter all over your bedding. stand upright while cooking etc. Tad is saying he is getting 26mpg in his promaster 2500. I checked out a sprinter 4x4 last week at work and it is really burly. no need to lift it.

Michael Brady · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,316
Bill Kirby wrote: What would you recommend? Seriously no snark.
I already made my recommendation of an Astro. But I guess I will give my top three weekend warrior mobiles(unsorted and by experience only).
1.Astro AWD
2.Element
4.Forrester or Outback
Michael Brady · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,316
amockalypsenow wrote: no. it is large though. check out the sportsmobile forum. the advantage of being short enough to to park inside garages is nice.
I almost bought a diesel one but couldn't get over the fact that they put a 7.3L in it! Almost 3 times the size of the Sprinter engine but with far less mpg and all in a smaller van.
Name · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 25
Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
Mike Brady wrote: I already made my recommendation of an Astro. But I guess I will give my top three weekend warrior mobiles(unsorted and by experience only). 1.Astro AWD 2.Element 4.Forrester or Outback
I would've PM you but thought maybe others would be interested...

My Element is nice to throw a mattress in the back of. Your list makes sense but why would a Sprinter not work? Is it drivability? I wouldn't wanna find a spot to park that fits some of the bigger Sprinters. My wife wants one but we've been putting it off. I mooch off friends that live near good climbing.

I was thinking of a big fifth wheel RV trailer. Pull it to different campgrounds year round. You could drop it and drive the truck to climbing. That make any sense to anyone?

Hope I didnt hijack
P Coolwhips · · dirt roads · Joined May 2013 · Points: 210

4runners are generally cheap, reliable, have ample room, 4wd, and easy to maintain. I took out the backseats in my 4runner and put in a sleeping deck. I am 6'1" and fit in it fine, I just have to tilt the passenger seat a bit forward to fully stretch out. I've lived in it, gets me places others can't, only downside is gas.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
amockalypsenow wrote: .....would never consider a Subaru or element myself, plus, they don't realistically measure up as large enough to sleep in without contorting oneself.
I'm 6'3" 250 lbs. I flipped up the back seats, blew up an air mattress and my wife and I slept in the back of my 2003 Honda Element.
Jimmy Downhillinthesnow · · Fort Collins, CO / Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 10
Mike Brady wrote: I almost bought a diesel one but couldn't get over the fact that they put a 7.3L in it! Almost 3 times the size of the Sprinter engine but with far less mpg and all in a smaller van.
It's basically an enclosed heavy-duty truck, so you get a heavy-duty truck engine. Not worth a redesign. But if you need to, you could tow a Sprinter (or three),

Astro is good for weekends but tight for longer trips or full time living. It is pretty nimble off road and very good at getting where most others do not venture..

Lindsay Troy · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 125
Bill Kirby wrote: Honda Element.. I have a 2003 with 151k miles. I regularly drive it from Baltimore to Keene NY and back with zero trouble. I've driven down unplowed dirt roads and never got stuck. That's more than I can say about my 2014 Dodge 2500 with highway tires mounted on it. You can remove or fold up the seats and insert a bed/storage back there. An Element is cheaper than a Sprinter or a truck :)
I mean I regularly do that drive (and drove around Canada for 5 years) in a Toyota Corolla and previously in a Nissan Sentra with winter tires. Having manual transmission helped but if you're a good driver and you have winter tires you don't need 4WD for snow and getting to crags.

PS. let me know if you ever wanna carpool!
Ryan Surface · · Kansas City · Joined May 2014 · Points: 438
4runner

4 runner with a 100 gallon storage box on rear worked for me
mattm · · TX · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,885

With the popularity of Sprinter conversions I'm always amazed the European small camper van market doesn't at least TRY to make a move back over here. Sprinters, as some have noted here, are too damn big to be practical for any type of day to day use. Being the classic family of 4 w/dog I need a day-to-day hauler 90% of the time and the "mini van" setup is just too practical. I lust after a V-Class Mercedes Marco Polo yearly...
I'd just add a nice SUV if I lived in the MtnWest for Ski season or the very rare dirt road approach.

Drew Whitley · · Dolores, CO · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 95
taco and flipped

Tacoma and a flippac will get you anywhere...
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "weekend adventure vehicle"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.