Mountain Project Logo

best beginner ice climbing book

Original Post
neils · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 30

What do you think is the best beginner ice climbing book besides FOTH? Something similar to John Long's How to Rock Climb or Craig Luebben's Mastering Basic Skills...for Rock.

I would think Will Gadd's book on ice and mixed, or Craig Luebben's How to Ice Climb but was looking for a current suggestion.

Thanks.

MacM · · Tucson/Preskitt, AZ · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 675

Gadd's book is top notch and recent enough that it encompasses newer ice climbing styles (e.g. leashless versus leashed tools, etc.) Highly recommend.

MacM wrote:Gadd's book is top notch and recent enough that it encompasses newer ice climbing styles (e.g. leashless versus leashed tools, etc.) Highly recommend.
thanks - ordered it used for like $5
Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

Yeah, Gadd has great information on ice climbing. Listen to and employ his suggestions about basic movement up the ice. Then, go climb a lot of laps trying to focus on one or two suggestions each time. You'll improve a lot more quickly than most people (me) who are just swinging and kicking their way up the ice.

Nate K · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 240

I remember reading Gadds book when i started ice climbing. Its from a time when people were 50/50 on adopting leashless and modern tool designs. Some of the info is a bit dated because of this but its prettymuch just like 5 pages total. The rest of the book is great and hes very concise in his writing style. Besides books you have Gadd's blog which is also great. Good luck on learning, take it slow!

Ryan H is right about the movement thing. Spend a hundred hours on top rope perfecting the swing and the movement technique. Be very deliberate, those habits and movement patterns will stick with you forever

thanks guys - appreciate the insight - gonna read some books, go out with a guide for a day, see where it takes me

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

Chiounards Climbing ice ;) I still have it. great photos!.......

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "best beginner ice climbing book"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started