Mountain Project Logo

Utah Ice Conditions 2016/17

Original Post
bus driver · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 1,516

Take your tools and crampons up to Octoberfest at Snowbird today. The ice is in by the pipeline chute in Little cloud bowl. The tram runs everyday after Octoberfest and will get you to the top of the mountain.

Ty Falk · · Huntington, VT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 280

So your saying the rookie party is in? Any pics...

Sean Tropsa · · Draper, UT · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 20
Rookie party taken on 10-9-16

It's probably melted out by now but this was taken this past weekend
luke smith · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 121

It's not melted out...not a ton of pro options though. If you go I would leave the 16" and longer at home. I'll post pics Sunday or Monday.

Rookie Party is in and thicker than I had expected...should be even better after the cold temps the next couple of days. All the pictures are sideways when I upload them and they won't rotate despite my best efforts so I'm not putting them up here until I figure that out.

Hum looks like the bird will have the tram running Oct. 20-23 and Oct. 29-30 then its done for the fall season. Those pics in your profile are fatter than I would have expected aswell. The noaa point forecast for 10600' at the bird shows lows temps in the low to mid 20's through the 19th with high temps just barely getting above freezing. Then warming up with lows in the mid 30's and high temps significantly warmer through the 24th. We will see what happens...

The walk up from the base really isn't bad either, just a bit over 4 miles one way.

I got a little to optimistic after seeing the pics of the rookie party and went to see if I could find any ice up at Mosquito zone up in the Uintas today. Three or four inches of snow at 10k, temps were just below freezing midday. There were just some drips and smears of ice but definitely not in yet up there.

Mosquito

Matt · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 106

Climbed Rookie Party today. It took plenty of pro. I got a few 16s in but mostly placed 13s and 10s. This weekend the tram is free if you bring some canned food donations. Go get it!

Right on Matt! Frozen in Time is forming up too. Didn't hike close enough to try out the ice but it's visibly forming from Lake Blanche. Maybe two weeks or so to be in reasonable shape unless you feel like climbing ice over lots of flowing water. Uinta's are a hopeful right now too. Lots of sun and not so cold temps or snow.

Good to know Luke! I will keep you in the loop if i hear of anything as well.

Just read this online, sounds like it was on the rookie party. Hope there ok.
fox13now.com/2016/10/23/sea…

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

Sounds like some on went ice climbing with their golf shoes ...

sltrib.com/news/4499086-155…

Ouch. Hope everyone is OK.

Mallen · · Payson, UT · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 15

Rookie Party is the name of the route, not a comment on experience level.

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5
Mallen wrote:Rookie Party is the name of the route, not a comment on experience level.
Oh man, I knew that. I just read it weird. Now, I'm pretty embarrassed and will delete my original comment...
sfotex · · Sandy, UT · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 225

There's more info over here:
facebook.com/slcosar/

Am blacky · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

I was climbing Rookie Party with the individual who got injured (who is doing well) and we left a bd screw and alpine draw on the climb. If anyone happens to recover it we'll owe you a pack. PM or my number is 8037437650 -Amber

TimThompson Thompson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 5

Random question as we approach the ice season.
I like to do some top-rope soloing with my micro traction when I can't find partners,
or only have a little time and want to run a few laps for training.

Any good places I can get to to set up top rope that isn't the Apron in Provo canyon?
Preferably WI4 and harder.

I live in American fork but am willing to drive around.

P1 of the fang in provo canyon...

Brett Verhoef · · Northern Utah · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 380

Screamers near Croydon are easy to top rope when they're in.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Utah Ice Conditions 2016/17"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.