Mountain Project Logo

Mid-pitch Graffiti

Original Post
Andrew Yasso · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 215

Found this partway through pitch 3 on Purblind Pillar on Angel Food Wall.

Found mid-pitch 3 on Purblind Pillar, Red Rock.

Climbers, local and visiting, please do not mar the beautiful sandstone of Red Rock. Although you may find your words of inspiration valuable, scratching them into the stone destroys our resource, and we don't particularly care what you have to say.

Andrew Yasso · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 215

If whoever did this reads this, please pm me. I would love to climb this with you and clean it up, no questions asked. A genuine offer.

Doug Foust · · Oroville, WA · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 165

Super nice thought to clean it up, not sure how to do it though. Abrading the brown patina off is probably the only way which may make it look worse. Any ideas?

brat . · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 81

Saw some of that same "Be Free" stuff along the approach into First Creek. Same handwriting and "stars."

Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,812

Perhaps a free solo-ist since It is in the middle of P3. ... had an epiphany during the P2 crux?

I really did not want to see that either.

W L · · NEVADASTAN · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 851

The simple fact that these people somehow manage to exist boggles my mind.

Karsten Duncan · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 2,571

And while you're at it, clean this old one up too. Picture title says to preserve this memorial (Randall Grandstaff) but honestly its all graffiti. Go deface a granite block and lay it in a grassy meadow and leave the wilds to the wild.

--- Invalid image id: 108235221 ---

Dancog · · Sin City · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 15

I wonder if repeated and frequent applications of mineral rich liquid would add in the replenishment of the natural patina?
Dog style...if you can't eat or f@&$k it...piss on it!

Amy Kuhn · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

Very nice offer Andrew! I have a busted ankle at the moment, but I'd totally volunteer to fly out and help clean this up! I work for the USGS, so someone around here should know how best to fix it.

Roadsoda XL · · San Francisco · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 15

That doesn't look deeply into the rock at all. Usually you can rub some sand on the words with your hand to take it off. I cleaned "fuck" some name today that way.

Ya it's lame when people mess with the wilderness like that.

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974
Andrew Yasso wrote:Found this partway through pitch 3 on Purblind Pillar on Angel Food Wall. Climbers, local and visiting, please do not mar the beautiful sandstone of Red Rock. Although you may find your words of inspiration valuable, scratching them into the stone destroys our resource, and we don't particularly care what you have to say.
Kind of looks like chalk.
Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18,963

Dave...graffiti is graffiti. Remove it all. I knew Randall Grandstaff and I believe he deserves a memorial, but he would not have wanted his name carved into the rock at the base of a climb. Honor and respect him some other way. This graffiti needs to be erased, removed, repaired.

sqwirll · · Las Vegas · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 1,360
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Mid-pitch Graffiti"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started