Mountain Project Logo

Petzl trigrest on Grivel tools

Original Post
Gavin W · · NW WA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 181

I'm looking at a pair of the Grivel North Machines as a do-everything tool. I imagine that I would be able to fit a Petzl Trigrest on the shaft just above the grip, just wanted to confirm.

Has anyone done that and can comment on the fit (or used the trigrest in any other applications and have comments on it?) I've heard that they're prone to breaking, but also that replacing the plastic adjustment piece with just a nut and bolt fixes that.

djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110

I used these. I had to cut away some material though as they are made to fit on the bottom of the tool.
i831.photobucket.com/albums…

mec.ca/en/product/5011-184/…

I wondered about that too. So it's possible to make those fit mid-shaft? How secure is it?

djh860 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 110

It's only plastic but they seem excellent. These are fiber shaft so I chose not to screw them into the tool. also this tool had a nub there that helped secure them in place. Without this nub something may be required to hold it in place. On this instillation it is very solid.

CornCob · · Sandy, UT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 20

Sorry if this is too much of a hijack, but I've been wondering about something similar. Has anyone tried putting the BD Viper FlickLock pommels on Petzl tools?

CornCob wrote:Sorry if this is too much of a hijack, but I've been wondering about something similar. Has anyone tried putting the BD Viper FlickLock pommels on Petzl tools?
Good question. I've held the new Vipers once in store and got the feeling that they had a narrower shaft, but that's me thinking back on something that happened like 6 months ago.

I was curious though so I looked up those Flicklock Pommels, and you can get them off BD's website for $10. That's less than half the price of a Trigrest, and everything I've heard suggests that it's a better design. I'll have to swing by the local MEC sometime next week and check it out.
CornCob · · Sandy, UT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 20
Gavin W wrote:I'll have to swing by the local MEC sometime next week and check it out.
Awesome, let us know how it goes! I really don't care for the Trigrest design, so if the FlickLock fits well I'll probably switch over.
Steven Kovalenko · · Calgary · Joined May 2014 · Points: 25

Have you tried the metal Grivel triggers (not horn) accessories? They come in different sizes to fit different ice tool shafts.

I have a couple of these kicking around my gear bin. I checked, and they definitely would work on the North Machines if I wrapped some rubber grip tape or a bicycle innertube around the shaft. I do not want a secondary grip on the North Machines, so I am not going to bother mounting mine.

Stever · · WA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 56

I know this thread is old, but I tried the Petzl trigrest on the Grivel north machine and it fits perfectly, especially with the little rubber horn for the "second grip" of the handle
Seems like it would be great for ice cragging, but I will take it off for alpine to make plunging easier.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "Petzl trigrest on Grivel tools"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started