Mountain Project Logo

PhD Student Looking for Climbers to Participate in a Short Survey (feel free to pass along, too!)

Original Post
Megan Nelson · · Moscow, ID · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Hello Fellow Climbers,

I am a PhD student at the University of Idaho study Exercise Physiology conducting a research project for a class about reasons why climbers enjoy their sport, as well as psychological attributes related to climbers. I love climbing because of the physical and mental aspects of the sport and I'm really interested in doing some research on this topic!

Our survey only takes about 10 minutes to complete, and we greatly appreciate any and all responses!

The link to the survey can be copy and pasted into your browser, or you can just click the link too!

uidaho.co1.qualtrics.com/SE…

Thank you SO much! It really means a lot!
Megan Nelson

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Climbers don't like to climb we just like to torture ourselves.

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5

I took the survey, good luck with your research! One motivation for climbing I found conspicuously absent from your survey: fun. I climb primarily because it is fun.

mike again · · Ouray · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 47

Go Vandals!

The "other" field forces a number, but asks for a type of climbing.

Let us know what your results are...

Andrew Reed · · CaƱon City, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 56

Other types of climbing should include traditional multi pitch, aid, big wall.

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86

There you go.

The hardest I have top roped made me think since I almost never TR but it is an easier grade than I have led, which is kind of strange.

Todd F · · McMurdo Station, AQ · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

done and shared with PhD climber friends

See PM

Scott O · · Anchorage · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 70

Thank you for using real research software.

Though your "other" section requires a numerical input and should probably be fixed:

Other (please specify):
Aid
Please enter a valid number.

Peter T · · Boston · Joined May 2016 · Points: 16

Done... let us know what you find!

Nick Metzger · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 589

done and done

Brendan Blanchard · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 590
ViperScale wrote:Climbers don't like to climb we just like to torture ourselves.
Exactly! It's like fun, but different...

Wow... seriously thank you all! You guys are great. I appreciate all the input, comments, and thanks for the bug, I will fix that.

I will certainly let you all know what I find when we finish data collection. I can't believe how many respodents we have gotten in less than 24 hours. I am so stoked, I really appreciate your time. Feel free to send to any climbers you know!

Megan

Kevin Neville · · Oconomowoc, WI · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 15

Pretty good survey. One comment is that the word "mistake" is one that could have a wide range of meanings with a wide range of consequences. I took it to mean a relatively benign failure (misread the sequence and blew the onsight) rather than something creating actual risk of injury.

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5

^ +1
I interpreted "mistake" as a technical or safety related mistake, something that did or could have hurt or killed someone. Relating it to simple climbing movement didn't occur to me until reading the above comment. Not sure which you meant, but something to keep in mind when interpreting results.

Justin Winger · · Wheat Ridge · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 10

I felt a lot of the question were a little pointless because every climber would answer them the same. I could be wrong though.

Thank you - that's a very helpful comment. These items came from surveys that have been used in the psychology literature but I haven't read too much about any of this being used for climbers, so that's excellent feedback. This is like a first for us so that will be interesting while looking at the results. The goal is to figure out how to tailor these to climbers so the interpretation is similar throughout.

And yes, that was also a thought about getting very positive or negative answers but the only way to see how we can improve is to test it - so again thank you for the feedback!

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194

I encountered an error about 1/3 of the way through.

ScoJo · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 481

I got an error halfway through. I was able to refresh and complete it, so hopefully it recorded the results correctly.

Beau Griffith · · Portland, OR · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 26

I think you should consider adjusting the responses on the Likert-type scale you are using on the first section as right now I think it is confusing.

"Not at all important" - "Low Importance" - "Slightly Important" - "Neutral" - "Moderately Important" - "Very Important" - "Extremely Important" is basically progressing from "none" to most positive for a given positive trait...so the "Neutral" response in the middle is odd.

Typically you would see that if you were progressing from negative to positive, with the "Neutral" representing the state of ambivalence (mid-way between negative and positive). Since your scale is starting from "no feeling" and progressing to extremely positive, having "Neutral" halfway through could be misleading. My recommendation would be to go, "Not at all...Low...Slightly...Moderately...Very...Extremely" and limit your number of responses to 6.

Or, even better, since you've already collected data, consider going, "Strongly unappealing" - "Mildly unappealing" - "Slightly unappealing" - "Neutral" - "Slightly appealing" - "Mildly Appealing" - "Strongly Appealing" where neutral is still the midpoint but you have a negative trait on one side and positive trait on the other...you could make an argument that that would be well-correlated to the current responses you have (and could probably get away with combining the data sets if this is just a preliminary study you don't intend to publish)...feel free to mke up your own adjective.

Thanks so much all. Great feedback for me. Still looking for some more participants :-)

Lee St · · Dallas, Ga. · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Done.can't wait to see the results

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "PhD Student Looking for Climbers to Participate…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started