Mountain Project Logo

December climbing recommendations

Original Post
Brendan A · · Golden · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 115

Living in Colorado looking to do some out of state climbing (mostly sport...dont hate me) at the end of December. I was thinking of Red Rocks but as someone who is relatively new to climbing trip out of state I wanna know if you guys know of any good places to climb. Trip will potentially be 3 days spent at the area.

Cory B · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 2,577

The classic winter climbing:

J- Tree - grainy rock, endless single pitch
Red Rocks - classic mutli pitch trad
Bishop - bouldering and sport climbing

Futher afield:
El Potrero chico (Mexico)
Kalymnos (Greece)
Railay Beach (Thailand)

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
C Brooks wrote:Red Rocks - classic mutli pitch trad
Yet on a recent 10 day trip we did not place a single piece of trad pro nor go higher than 35m. We sport climbed exclusively, at the first and second pull-outs and one day at Calico Basin.
Cory B · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 2,577
Marc801 wrote: Yet on a recent 10 day trip we did not place a single piece of trad pro nor go higher than 35m. We sport climbed exclusively, at the first and second pull-outs and one day at Calico Basin.
Then you missed out dude. You can sport climb anywhere, best part of RR, steep moderate climbs a thousand feet tall.
Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105

Wife and I went to Red Rocks last December. It's a great place to take a first climbing trip to, with lots of options at all skill levels and styles, and civilization very close by. Also I love sandstone.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
C Brooks wrote: Then you missed out dude. You can sport climb anywhere, best part of RR, steep moderate climbs a thousand feet tall.
Been there, done that. We wanted to sport climb.
And no, you actually can't sport climb just anywhere.
Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 24,665

The days are short if RR then, of course, so don't get super eager... also - there will be more water in the canyons, IE the base of Dark Shadows.

But I used to go there most years for Xmas/Newyears and on years where it was too cold in Vegas, then I'd just put in the extra few hours drive and go to J-Tree for cragging there (warmest down at Indian Cove, coldest up at Sheep Pass) so in terms of a road trip, or even a flight with a rental car, that option saves you a total punt...
In one warmer year I stopped short on the drive and climbed in Zion. We did Iron Messiah over the break and it was just fine, and I think the Megamahedral on another tip out there. Short day though, so if you are moving slow you better have a headlamp.

There is also the Cochise/Mt Lemon option, which is totally reasonable with Tucson as a home base. The lower crags on Lemon are climbable most of the year, though the upper crags are going to be snowed in (like a ski resort or something). Cochise is generally climbable on sunny sides and is totally worth a visit for some trad action. Maybe bolted, but certainly not 'sport' in most areas there.

I've never climbed in Hueco Tanks or Enchanted Rock, so I can't speak to the opportunities with those two options, but I know it gets done.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "December climbing recommendations"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started