Mountain Project Logo

Rainier Guide

Original Post
wsperry · · Lafayette, CA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 115

Hey guys,

Does anyone know of individual guides authorized to guide on Mt Rainier? Or have any recommendations?

alpine murse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 95

RMI is a mountain guide right outside of the sunrise entrance to Rainier. You might want to check them out.

Andrew, I am familiar with RMI. I guess my question was unclear. I am interested in a personal guide, not a group with a guide company. I want to avoid vastly varying skill sets you find in a group setting in order to focus on more specific learning objectives.

Tobin Story · · Woodinville, WA · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 35

I am not 100% sure of their ability to guide on Rainier, but I'd recommend Pro Guiding Services, and specifically Chris Simmons. I've climbed with him before and he is an excellent guide. If he can't do it, I imagine he would suggest someone who can.

chrissimmonsguiding.com/

Jonathon Spitzer · · North Bend, WA · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 300

wsperry

The NPS has really strict regulations on guides on Rainier. Currently there are only three main companies: RMI, IMG, Alpine Ascents. They all offer the standard program and then some specialized trips as well.

Other guide services get a single use permit to guide Rainier. So these are still group trips.

When I have done private guided trips on Rainier it's been easier to operate them through the larger companies has they have plenty of user days so its a bit cheaper in the long run.

Also, when looking at dates/time. The past 3 years we have seen a shift in the "rainier climbing season" I would suggest climbing in mid July. The mountain isn't to broken up yet but stable weather.

Happy climbing!

Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195

i know rmi does custom climbing trips in the cascades, i was going to sign up for one cuz i had a few objectives i wanted to get in on a single trip out there. i would bet a lot of money that they would do this on rainier. its not cheap though, and that ended up being my reason not to do it. i know a decent number of their guides personally and would be happy to recommend some to you, if you get to that point.

Derek DeBruin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,039

Spitzer is spot-on: if you would like individualized instruction/guiding, you should be able to arrange this through one of the three major services; just be prepared to pay a bit more for it.

Awesome,

Thanks fellas, exactly the info I was looking for.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Rainier Guide"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started