Mountain Project Logo

Save Red Rock

Original Post
Josh Janes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 9,999
Red Rocks

I emailed Clark County Commissioners today at ccdistf@clarkcountynv.gov. It took me five minutes to ask them not to vote in favor of re-zoning the Blue Diamond Mesa adjacent to Red Rocks for high density housing.

If you've ever been to Red Rocks or have any personal interest in keeping it as undeveloped as possible into the future, I'd encourage you to take a few minutes to email them as well. Just tell them why it is special to you and that you don't want it re-zoned.

They vote on November 2nd.
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Is the issue related to this previous thread?:

mountainproject.com/v/red-r…

Some background or links would help.

Josh Janes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 9,999

Thanks for the direct link to the petition, John. Signing that takes a minute and emailing the commissioners only takes a few more.

Background info can be found at saveredrock.com.

It sucks that we have to revisit this again only a few years later, but so it goes.

Kevin Ranck · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 25

Done and bump.

Edit - Josh there is a type in your URL:

www.saveredrock.com

Alex Rogers · · Sydney, Australia · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 40

Emailed and petition signed. It would be such a pity to lose the sense of wilderness in those incredible canyons.

Chalk in the Wind · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 3

Thanks for this post. I only get out there once or twice a year, but I will gladly write in to oppose this mess.

Austin Baird · · SLC, Utah · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 95

What are the odds? Any idea? Can we just get Killis to go to the meeting and harangue them until they capitulate?

Collin Holt · · Dallas, TX · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 40

Signed. Bump!

Matt Carroll · · Van · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 249

Bump, also emailed.

Healyje · · PDX · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 422

Done...

Eric and Lucie · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 140

Went to saveredrock.com,
signed the petition,
and emailed county commissioners.

Direct links to petition and email available on that site. Took 5 minutes in total.
Please do the same!!!

Take a look at the map below and try to imagine the impact of this on the whole area... disastrous!

Eric and Lucie · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 140

The next planning commission meeting is this coming Tuesday, October 18, 7PM in Vegas.

NOW IS THE TIME TO ACT!

www.saveredrock.com

Doug Foust · · Oroville, WA · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 165

Probably close to 100% that the Planning Commission will approve the Concept Plan on Oct 18th. I'd say close to 100% that the County Commission will also approve on Nov 2nd.

Unfortunately, John is correct. Piece of crap politicians that will pretend to listen to us then vote with the money.

shredward · · SLC · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 5

signed and bumped for visibility

Alex Bury · · Ojai, CA · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 2,376

Signed~

J. Albers · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 1,926

Done. Thanks for the post Josh.

Bootz Ylectric · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 165

Signed. We've bulldozed and developed more than enough land on this planet. No need to bulldoze more.

Clint White aka Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 151

Signed. I hear there is housing available in Detroit.

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86

Signed.

What is up there now? It looks like some sort of mining operation from google earth.

J. Albers · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 1,926
Parker Wrozek wrote:Signed. What is up there now? It looks like some sort of mining operation from google earth.
There is indeed a mine up there (gypsum maybe?), but the mine is on the far side of the mountain and you really can't see or at least don't notice it from the bulk of the conservation area (even when you are up high in the canyons). The housing development on the other hand will have a fricking horrendous visual and practical impact on the entire area...traffic, pollution (air and visual), wildlife impacts, etc. etc. There are so many other areas to develop in the greater LV area (whether that's a good idea either is not my concern) that it just seems gigantically shortsighted to develop this relatively pristine and special place.
jleining · · CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 32
Eric and Lucie wrote:Went to saveredrock.com, signed the petition, and emailed county commissioners. Direct links to petition and email available on that site. Took 5 minutes in total. Please do the same!!! Take a look at the map below and try to imagine the impact of this on the whole area... disastrous!
Zoom in on that area, there's a massive mine already there...
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Save Red Rock"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started