Mountain Project Logo

show me the ropes? RRG

Original Post
IanPerkins · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Hey everyone,

I am fairly new to climbing. I have climbed top rope once outdoors and indoors quite a few times in the past few months but really want to get outdoors. I climb 5.8 easily and can do some 5.9. really want to get into lead and trad. I live in Lexington, so I'm looking for someone to go to RRG. I have my own harness, shoes, ATC, and locking biner.

Thanks,
Ian Perkins

befozz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 55

Hey Ian, glad you are enjoying climbing, you'll definitely get even more hooked once you get the full outdoor lead experience. You might get some hits using mountain project to look for a mentor/guide. However seeing as you live in Lexington and have access to the gym there and the climbing community that comes with it you might be better off trying to find a mentor there. People are more willing to show you around if they A. meet you and like you. B. can see first hand that you are not a safety risk you yourself or others. and C. start to build up mutual trust/comfort level. This also gives you a chance to evaluate if this is a person you trust to teach you things that are highly critical to you staying safe. But good luck with your search!

befozz wrote:Hey Ian, glad you are enjoying climbing, you'll definitely get even more hooked once you get the full outdoor lead experience. You might get some hits using mountain project to look for a mentor/guide. However seeing as you live in Lexington and have access to the gym there and the climbing community that comes with it you might be better off trying to find a mentor there. People are more willing to show you around if they A. meet you and like you. B. can see first hand that you are not a safety risk you yourself or others. and C. start to build up mutual trust/comfort level. This also gives you a chance to evaluate if this is a person you trust to teach you things that are highly critical to you staying safe. But good luck with your search!

Thanks for the advice, I'm trying that as well, I have mainly been climbing at the wall on UKs campus since I can't afford the gym at the moment.
befozz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 55
IanPerkins wrote: Thanks for the advice, I'm trying that as well, I have mainly been climbing at the wall on UKs campus since I can't afford the gym at the moment.
Do you go to UK? if so I'm pretty posative they have a very active climbing/outing club that would probably be the best place to find people to climb with.

I do go to UK, i joined one of the outdoors clubs but nobody seems to climb. I'll have to try some more.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

North Eastern States Partners
Post a Reply to "show me the ropes? RRG "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started