Mountain Project Logo

Ice conditions app for iphone

Original Post
Keeghan O'Brien · · Boston, MA · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 30

Hey guys,

Last year me and my buddy started thinking about making an ice climbing app where people can report on local ice conditions. Over the summer we came up with an iOS app called First Swing Ice Conditions. You can make a brief report on what you climbed/observed and attach up to 5 pictures. You can draft reports with no service and it will automatically upload when you reach a service area or wifi. Everyone can search and find reports by state/area. It's pretty simple overall and we are hoping that people find it useful.

I know it's early but I thought I would get the word out there so people can check it out and we can sort out bugs. Feel free to make "test" reports. Just throw "test" in the report somewhere and I will delete it later as ice starts forming.

You can register with just an email or you can use it as a guest. For registered users there is a point system. You get 10 points for making a report and every time another user hits the "This report was helpful" button. I figured I would use the point system for a gear raffle or giveaway down the line to keep things interesting.

For right now I just want to make sure it is functioning.

Our goal with this is to make it simple to share ice conditions and possibly spread load climbers so one or two popular areas don't get continuously bashed out. We would like to encourage people to explore new areas and share information with the community. The app is free and available in the iTunes Store.

Let us know what you think. There is no website yet but I'm working on that. For now you can just message me here or reply.

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5
Keeghan O'Brien wrote:Hey guys, Last year me and my buddy started thinking about making an ice climbing app where people can report on local ice conditions. Over the summer we came up with an iOS app called First Swing Ice Conditions. You can make a brief report on what you climbed/observed and attach up to 5 pictures. You can draft reports with no service and it will automatically upload when you reach a service area or wifi. Everyone can search and find reports by state/area. It's pretty simple overall and we are hoping that people find it useful. I know it's early but I thought I would get the word out there so people can check it out and we can sort out bugs. Feel free to make "test" reports. Just throw "test" in the report somewhere and I will delete it later as ice starts forming. You can register with just an email or you can use it as a guest. For registered users there is a point system. You get 10 points for making a report and every time another user hits the "This report was helpful" button. I figured I would use the point system for a gear raffle or giveaway down the line to keep things interesting. For right now I just want to make sure it is functioning. Our goal with this is to make it simple to share ice conditions and possibly spread load climbers so one or two popular areas don't get continuously bashed out. We would like to encourage people to explore new areas and share information with the community. The app is free and available in the iTunes Store. Let us know what you think. There is no website yet but I'm working on that. For now you can just message me here or reply.
I'll check it out. I have often thought, over the years, that it would be cool to have a number to call to check ice conditions like the Ski Resort snow totals that day, or the surf report.
Clint White aka Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 151

Testes, testes, 1, 2, umm, 3!

Nice start. Thanks.

Mike Berkow · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2008 · Points: 5

Hey Keeghan,

I'd be interested in taking a look at your app, I'm a software QA guy.

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

Well, I bumped into a problem registering. The character limit on the email address is 2 characters short of allowing mine. My email is a tad long, but I'm sure there are longer. You probably want to change the settings there.

Mike Berkow · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2008 · Points: 5

If you PM me an email address, I can get you some bug reports, I have found a couple. I can reliably get the app to return null values in all fields. I can also get it to hang from time to time.

Ryan Hamilton wrote:Well, I bumped into a problem registering. The character limit on the email address is 2 characters short of allowing mine. My email is a tad long, but I'm sure there are longer. You probably want to change the settings there.
Ok sorry about that, let me try to fix that.
Mike Berkow wrote:If you PM me an email address, I can get you some bug reports, I have found a couple. I can reliably get the app to return null values in all fields. I can also get it to hang from time to time.
Thanks for the help. PMed you with my email.
Max Forbes · · Colorado · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 108

Looks like a great start! Clearly a bit more work needs to be done on it. I also couldn't register. Some of the report fields are a bit funky too. (Like select an area, even though you enter it.) I think this is a cool project and I hope people use it. Another good feature would be to add a map view so you can look at reports in an area that way.

Best of luck! Hope it catches on.

Brett Verhoef · · Northern Utah · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 380

Any plans for Android?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "Ice conditions app for iphone"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started