Mountain Project Logo

Gunks, where do people stay?

Original Post
Amanda Friedman · · Denver · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 0

I'm still bitter they closed camp slime...

I'm coming up this weekend and the campground is full, hostel is full, cheap hotels are full ... where do people stay? Anyone have a lawn that will let 4 people crash? We will be gone early in the morning and back late in the evening, just need a place to sleep and of course we can give you cash.

Kevin Heckeler · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,616

Anything of use to you in this thread?

mountainproject.com/v/campi…

Peter T · · Boston · Joined May 2016 · Points: 16

There are two MUA's about a half hour away - Hemlock Ridge and the Shawangunk Rudge State Forest. I haven't stayed at either but both have been suggested on here. Or you can try:

mountainproject.com/v/climb…

Or:

mountainproject.com/v/campi…

There was someone on MP offering camping on his property for free but I can't seem to find the posts.

Andy Lei · · New York, NY · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 20

i've used airbnb before

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419
Peter T wrote:There are two MUA's about a half hour away - Hemlock Ridge and the Shawangunk Rudge State Forest. I haven't stayed at either but both have been suggested on here. Or you can try: mountainproject.com/v/climb… Or: mountainproject.com/v/campi… There was someone on MP offering camping on his property for free but I can't seem to find the posts.
The best way to find a home to crash at is to take the residents out for drinks and dinner.
The links all say the well known things, but there are alternatives, no bathrooms or other
Comforts,

From one of those links. Where I said
""" Besides the Bed'nBreakfast, options (1on Cragswood Road) .There was a Camp ground on Creeklocks Rd in Rosendale, which works out as near or closer than options on the other side of the ridge. Ask if there is still Climbing allowed at the Water Works area? That place while short would be a great 1st outside top rope experience.

Creekview Campsite
227 Creek Locks Road
Rosendale, NY 12472

Phone: 845.658.9142
E-mail: contact@creekviewcampsite.com
EDIT POST
Joe Kain · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

+1 for Creekview campground. $10 gets you a plot with a power hookup and a bathroom/shower/water a stone's throw away. Also, you can have a campfire, unlike the Gunks Campsite.

T.L. Kushner · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined May 2009 · Points: 5

i havent climbed at the gunks in years but....THEY CLOSED SLIME?!?!

Alex Martin · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 66

I have stayed at the hemlock ridge. Not for the faint of heart. Local rednecks turned the place into a shooting range. Summer months are infested with mosquitos. But it is free. I slept in my van and didn't have a problem.

keithconn · · LI, NY · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 35

^^^

That sounds fun!

Rob D · · Queens, NY · Joined May 2011 · Points: 30
Amart wrote:I have stayed at the hemlock ridge. Not for the faint of heart. Local rednecks turned the place into a shooting range. Summer months are infested with mosquitos. But it is free. I slept in my van and didn't have a problem.
I think I'm going to start doing that now that there isn't another free or cheap alternative.
Jim Sweeney · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 30

Amanda,

Check your PMs

Jim

Ed Bustamante · · accord · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 60
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Gunks, where do people stay?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started