Mountain Project Logo

Best Bouldering Areas on Tahoes South Side

Original Post
Kevin Suarte · · extreme sports calendar model · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 0

Some of the best bouldering areas on the South side are located on top of echo summit of Hwy 50 and the Christmas Valley area. All are in the South/West Lake Tahoe Bouldering Guide book and offer many great problems. There are other areas in South Lake but these areas hold some of the best quality granite around. That's not mentioning the endless amounts of rock around the North/West/East sides!

Now some people might say differently, but ima throw down some of my go to spots, starting with the most easy to get to...

Shortest Approaches:
Alpine Club (Echo Summit)
PCT Boulders (Echo Summit)
Christmas Valley Boulders (Christmas Valley)
The Beavers. (Christmas Valley)

Longer Approaches:
Pony Express Boulders (Echo Summit)
Camouflage Forest (Echo Summit)
Lake Audrain (Echo Summit)
Benwood Meadow/Upper Benwood (Echo Summit)
The Mountain Beavers (Christmas Valley)
Toltec (Not necessarily in Christmas Valley but just down the Rd.)

(I mention the locations as Echo summit can be quite cooler in the summer then the lower areas)

There are many other stand alone boulders and areas not mentioned in this forum, and on MP in general. So all you Lake Tahoe boulders, please feel free comment and help get more info out there on here. There are SO many routes and areas and the 2nd edition guide books will reveal even more. Thanks to all who've made this a climbers Paradise. Trad, Sport, and Bouldering ...Weather permitting:)

Danny Herrera · · Sebastopol · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 567

wow , can most of these be found in the first edition of the guide?

i just climbed the lake aloha zone last weekend.

Kevin Suarte · · extreme sports calendar model · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 0
Danny Herrera wrote:wow , can most of these be found in the first edition of the guide? i just climbed the lake aloha zone last weekend.
The old Super Topo guide book is a little out of date, but it does give descriptions to the classic areas like Christmas Valley, Alpine club, and a small description of Pont Express and PCT (which is called CCC in Super Topo.) A lot of development has taken place since then, most of it is described in the "new" Lake Tahoe Bouldering Guide books. Areas like Camo Forest, Benwood Meadows, and The Beavers/Mt.Beavers are all included and are very similar to the rock quality around Lake Aloha. Lake of the Woods has an awesome circuit too, if the 5 mile hike in doesn't bother you!
Court · · SLAKETAHOE · Joined May 2013 · Points: 125

don't forget blue diamonds, just past the alpine club. would love to hear more about the lake of the woods circuit. is that in the outlying areas edition?
just rode the stinger trail today (upper kingsbury to lower). lots of fun looking rock on the upper half.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Best Bouldering Areas on Tahoes South Side "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started