Mountain Project Logo

colombian climbers in Denver

Original Post
Natalia Sanchez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Hey guys, we are two Colombian climbers and we'd like to visit climbing areas near to Denver from Oct 16 to Oct 29. It is the first time we visit that area and we need useful information such as: affordable and safe acomodation (hostels, RB&B) near to the climbing zones, saving tips, can we get there by bus (FLEX) or how easy is it to arrange carpooling? We will appreciate any help.

Igor T · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 0

Natalia, let me know what areas around Denver do u have in mind. I live in Denver and will be able to help u.

Igor

my email is

igmath@yahoo.com

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5

If you don't have the budget for both accommodations and a car, I'd go for the car. You'll be able to visit a variety of areas, and could combine camping, sleeping in the car, and couch surfing to make it work.

Otherwise, you're looking for a place to stay that is affordable, that you could reach from DIA by public transportation, and once there is walkable to a crag - that may exist but I don't know of it.

Good luck!

Mike Lane · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880

Yes, list some of the areas you interested in. There are a lot of people who constantly visit a particular favorite area, and are also off during weekdays.

Hey guys. We are thinking about Boulder and Fort Collins áreas. We like trad and Sport climbing. Any other suggestions? Since is our first time we are up to visit any place we can

Hiro Protagonist · · Colorado · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 290

HI Natalia,

I live in Fort Collins (I used to live in Boulder). I think the city part of your experience will be higher quality in Fort Collins, it's a much more laid back and friendly place than Boulder. (people here may disagree)

BUT, it's hard to get to any good climbing from Fort Collins without a car, so I don't think you should come here. The amount of climbing around Boulder is superior. And generally speaking, you should not stay in Denver if you plan to go climbing outside.

There is this hostel thing up in the canyon above Boulder, but I'm sure how much $$ it is.
a-lodge.com/

From inside Boulder, you can access a bunch of climbing in Boulder Canyon (1585 routes) using the RTD bus (the N route). Probably no other climbing area is accessible by bus though.

Sorry I can't help you out more, I will be away in California and Banff (film festival!).

mark felber · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 41

The N bus from Boulder to Nederland makes two stops in Boulder Canyon, so you would still have a lot of walking to do to get to any climbing, or to do any grocery shopping, or even to get to the hostel from the bus stop.

Traveling anywhere in the US without a car takes a long time. If you're able to rent a car for this trip it will make your trip a lot more pleasant.

A lot of people in Boulder use the Mountain Project partner finder to find climbing partners. You might be able to find rides to the climbs this way.

We still don't feel 100% confident driving in the States but it's going to be the only way to get good climbs. How is the weather going to be the last 2 weeks of october? Best areas with routes from 5.9 to 5.12??

Hiro Protagonist · · Colorado · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 290

Hi again Natalia,

Ah, yes, driving in the mountains here for climbing might be a little challenging - even Americans from flat parts of the US seem to have a little trouble with it.

I still think that my bus idea isn't bad - you can get the Boulder Falls bus stop, from which you can access a couple quality areas of rock. If you combine that with searching for people here on MP (as Mark suggested), you can probably do pretty well.

The weather at the end of October is variable. Usually it snows once in October in the city - and the climbing is at higher elevation, so is even cooler. Be sure to bring warm clothes just in case. It may also be spectacular weather, you never know. :)

If you arrive and have trouble finding people, send me a message, I'll be around during some of your stay.

Arlo F Niederer · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 515

You should consider Colorado Springs.

Garden of the Gods and Red Rocks climbing areas are accessible by bus, since both are within the city limits.

Also, some of the best climbing areas are less than an hour away:

Shelf Road, a premier sport climbing area.
Eleven Mile Canyon - beautiful canyon with excellent sport and trad climbing.
Turkey Rocks - some of the best crack climbing in Colorado.

I think a car would be essential to get to the best climbing, regardless of where you choose. Certainly in Fort Collins (where I lived for 4 years).

Mike Lane · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880
Natalia Sanchez wrote:We still don't feel 100% confident driving in the States but it's going to be the only way to get good climbs. How is the weather going to be the last 2 weeks of october? Best areas with routes from 5.9 to 5.12??
Shelf Road or Devils Head for sport climbing. Best option depends on the weather. Spend time at both. I'd look into AirBnb for Denver and Canon City as camping may be a bit cold for you unless you're bringing 20*F rated gear at a minimum.
Don Ferris III · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 186

You guys would be welcome to crash on my pull-out couch. I'm sure we could figure out some sort of trade/payment. You good cooks? I'd also be happy to show you around on the weekends.

You are so Nice guys. Thank you all. I hope we can meet with you on rocks. I am locating all places you have mentioned and trying to make a schedule for our short rock trip

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

Also, Natalia, you don't have to pay for the developed campsites at Shelf Road. You can camp down the left hand road at the split just before Sand Gulch. That should keep your travel budget down. Anywhere maps say you are on BLM land, camping is free.

We've gotten a place on Loveland, but we couldn't get a rental car 'cause don't have int'l driver's license. So renting a car in CO is twice as much any other state :( Do you know if there is any other way to rent a car besides the regular companies? Is any of you guys climbing around so we can make carpooling together? please let us know. Thnx

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "colombian climbers in Denver"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.