Mountain Project Logo

*Your opinion appreciated*

Original Post
Richard Savala · · Caldwell, ID · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Hey currently I'm the rock wall guy at my local YMCA, yesterday I was informed that my branch had recieved a grant specifically intended for rock climbing gear. All of our equipment (minus ropes & atcs) is 12+ years old. In your opinion, what harnesses (one size fits all as well as fitted) should we invest in? Ditto for shoes. Main concern here is durability (I bring my own harness for belaying) as there is a strong possibility this gear won't be replaced for another 12+ years. We have toprope and sport routes so the fitted harnesses will be used for both purposes. Thanks!

Billcoe · · Pacific Northwet · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 930

I have no business even trying to answer this. A gym person who has evaluated harness's would do a better job answerin it. But you want them to last 12 years? No Mfg suggests a harness would last anywhere close to that. I have some older than that, but whew, you would have some serous liability going with that kind of time frame.

Daniel Evans · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 80

Metolius safetech is a pretty bomber harness, but 12 years is pushing it for soft goods.

For your purposes though you could get away with the basic mountaineering style harnesses most gyms provide. It would definitely be the cheapest way to go.

BGardner · · Seattle, WA · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 0

Agreed with others that 12 years is way to long. That is a massive liability for your program. I doubt any manufacturer would stand behind there harness for that long.

That said, I've had great luck with this one.

mistymountain.com/program-g…

I also don't think a one-size-fits-all shoe exists (not sure if that's what you were implying as well)? If looking for cheap, maybe ask for old shoe donations in various sizes. I'm sure a lot of people (I know I do) have some laying around and would be willing to donate towards your cause. Otherwise just checkout the different brands and see what is the cheapest all-around shoe. La Sportiva Tarantula's are pretty cheap, retail around $60 without prodeal discount.

BGardner wrote:That said, I've had great luck with this one. mistymountain.com/program-g…
These were the mountaineering style harnesses I was referring to. Great for kids and most common one used by many gyms I've been to.
Jeffrey Snyder · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined May 2011 · Points: 3,740

+1 for the Misty described above but get one with real live belay loop in front rather than the carnival fast load. As a bonus teach good skills such as tie in points and belay loops not convenience! We use ours at Flagstaff Climbing for many good seasons of rough wear and tear both indoors and outdoors. Great quality but as mentioned 12 years is unfathomable if they are seeing use we get maybe 3-5yrs with heavy use. Congrats on the grant!

Edit: Same same, but different mistymountain.com/program-g…

Editedit: These shoes also have been successful for use in heavy use both indoor and outdoor with lighter wear I think they would last for many years. They also store nicely with sizing tags on the back. Usually with this sort of thing the more you can purchase up front the better deal you can get. redchiliclimbing.com/en/pro…

Shep · · Grand Junction, Colorado · Joined May 2013 · Points: 20

Buy the ABC harnesses from Liberty Mountain. Shoot them an email if you don't already have an account. These harnesses are very basic and inexpensive which means that you can replace them more frequently.

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346
Shep wrote:Buy the ABC harnesses from Liberty Mountain. Shoot them an email if you don't already have an account. These harnesses are very basic and inexpensive which means that you can replace them more frequently.
Bingo. I think the name of the game is quantity over quality here. If you buy cheap harnesses, you can replace them as needed. Price is not parallel to lifespan with harnesses. Some of the most expensive harnesses out there are quite light duty and wont last more than a season of heavy use. By contrast, there are plenty of cheap harnesses that will last several seasons of use.
David Baddeley · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 30

You'd probably have a hard time getting them in the US, but aspiring.co.nz/harnesses-ou… might be worth a look. They are simple, cheap, have a huge adjustment range and are virtually indestructible. The very wide straps mean they are also surprisingly comfy for an unpadded harness. For the above reasons, they more or less own the gym/club/outdoor ed market in NZ.

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

I've always thought the Petzl Gym harness was a great option for public places. Easy, fits a wide variety of body sizes and seem to be pretty robust. That way you don't have to replace them often. petzl.com/US/en/Sport/Harne…

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "*Your opinion appreciated* "

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.