Mountain Project Logo

Climbers can slow down the destruction of the planet?

Original Post
Pil Jungli · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 60

An area we developed in India started to get serious attention from freelance rock blasters. The boulders were starting to vanish one by one. To anybody who cares about nature this is terrible to see but as a climber it's probably even more sad and awful. It was for us anyway.
They knew and liked us already in the local village so we went there pleading and smiling and after discussions they actually agreed to not smash them anymore. They understood that those rocks were important for something other than building materials. I was so happy and quite surprised but just hope they will now stick to their word.
The more climbers that go there the less chance of them blasting again which is amazing as long as people keep going and they don't forget about us. So if you go to Hampi try and get over there at least once and also make the effort to go to the local village. Don't be critical but rather super friendly telling them how special and great the place is.

Could this work in other areas of the world? Definitely in India which has beautiful wild areas being destroyed much more quickly. Can climbers can actually make a small difference?
I prepared a topo with 250 problems and directions on how to get there which is better than the description in the guide (double the amount of problems also) It's one of the better places in the Hampi area with less loose flakes and very strong granite.

Check the pdf link at the end of the page if you want the topos for the place.
Why Paraport?

Clint White aka Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 151

Climbers actually hasten our journey to entropy by rushing around to climb different rocks. One could argue that we would be doing something else that was equally fruitless and consumptive.

Those in the village are probably struggling for their daily lives. I am unsure how far things have moved forward, but they probably see you as someone in a caste that can afford to pursue these pointless and trivial hobbies. Pardon me if I am incorrectly judging from the other side of the globe. I have only what I have been taught and learned.

The problem we face is increasing population and decreasing resources. The single best thing you can do is to live naturally and teach others to do the same. Educated women who are free to choose their own destiny have less children. Free your people and help educate them. Break the chains of the past that grip your and many other societies. Walk among them and help them overcome their hardship.

Above all, teach everyone how to live in harmony with nature. I pursue climbing because I enjoy nature and pondering things on geologic timescales. I get away to think clearly. May your rocks be preserved so others can do the same there in India.

Clint

Clint White aka Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 151

I didn't want to come off too rude so let's ponder this a little further. Please pardon my voice to text I'm driving and wanted to get thoughts off of my mind. Plumbers in America started certain advocacy groups mainly protect to protect their climbing areas.

You may have heard of the access fund, an organization that provides leadership, stewardship, and fundraising to secure rights for climbing areas. Along the way they also act all alongside other organizations. They teach leave no trace and speak up when big money interest try to squash tribal interest and citizen rights to public lands.

We have the potential to come together as climbers to do better for the world, but I meet few who are truly interested in creating change. I would encourage you to foster those around you and build friendships partnerships and focus on making the world a more sustainable place for the almost 8,000,000,000 people on our planet. Just realize the stopping village from crushing boulders for building materials is probably the least of mother natures worries right now. May we all find peace in our journey

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,625
Faulted Geologist wrote: Plumbers in America started certain advocacy groups mainly protect to protect their climbing areas.
Nothing like them climbing plumbers....
Oh, i get it, their crack climbers!

Of course I sympathise with the local village people. They are our friends and in a dry area so are poor and now rather depending on the money from stone cutting to sustain their village but I think there must be a better way than just taking boulder after boulder. There will soon be no boulders left and that's quite a big deal, even a catastrophe. If it was America everyone would be SO upset!
If there is an alternative to this boulder blasting going forward I'd love to see it. I even thought to try and help them get a guest house going there and try to get the locals into climbing tourism. That would give them a better way to sustain themselves also becoming more educated from interacting with the foreigners. People usually come to India for months long trips and I live there most of the year so not rushing around on planes at all like you might think.
If it was in UK or USA then BMC or Access fund would do something. We don't have that in India anyway and I also don't want to stop them without showing an alternative. Climbing tourism is just one idea. Combined with a proper quarry taking all the rock from one hill rather than single boulders, next hill, single boulders, next hill. That could make a difference. Anyhow at least our friends in Andhra Pradesh, (same Deccan plateau as Hampi area) have the same idea.
Scroll down to the 'Citizens initiatives for preservation' to see the heaven boulderers house. So that's it, if you really want to stop a rock being blasted you build a house around it. Brilliant.

saverocks.org/preservation

You sound like you have ideas that just need execution. Show them the single generation loss of resources that leaves them poor after colonial or capitalist extraction. We in America fuel these losses with our insatiable appetite to demolish and rebuild perfectly good buildings in the name of development.

I heard about Nauru from (BBC? NPR?) a world news radio show. The story is striking, depicting huge profits as they strip mined the phosphorus rock away. Now they are one of the poorest countries.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nauru

It is difficult for many of us to live in this country with its growth economics and world capitalonialism. We here are also forced to work under the regime of the billionaires as our jobs pay less vs the cost of living. We must find solutions at the community level to remove ourselves from the factory farm and mega food industry.

Build a working permaculture farm in that community and encourage them to embrace the tourism model. Look at Ouray, Colorado as an example of how a community built around the tourism idea, and Dancing Rabbit Farm among others who created a permaculture village with tourism and volunteer migrant learning workers to help them. I am sure others can chime in on other better examples. You are on the right track. Make it your objective to create the India Access Fund. I am sure our org would share info and ideas freely with you.

To a better future,
Clint

Clint,
Some good ideas which seem relative to this point. If there is one thing which we see clearly in India it's the 'single generation loss of resources' as you said. The poverty which brings an inability to see far ahead and then destroy everything in nature just to be able to survive and feed your kids.

India is now changing faster than western countries ever did as they adopt already established methods of destroying nature for profit. I know there is no chance for me or my friends to change anything in a big way but if one small part of India could start to find an alternative and for once get something half good out of foreigners it would be a good start. A type of anti capitalonialism.

A small climbing community in a very remote village like that which just happens to be in the middle of one of the best bouldering areas in the world will be a big positive when it happens in the right way. Like you say everything would have to be in line with natural systems to cut off the structures of control ie. Unreliable national electric grid would be easily replaced with solar. Then petrol would be replaced with charged vehicles. New systems of farming which get the most out of the only half dry land. Afterwards they can reject the forest dept which has just used them harshly.

The people in that village 'Yahadeli' distrust and despise govt department politics which cheats them every time keeping them poor. They still have a chance to free themselves and yes I want to show them the best way forward.
For a better future.
Pil

The beauty of developing countries is their ability to reject the current status quo in favor of those positive and renewable resources. America is deeply entrenched with trillion$ in fossil fuel infrastructure; consequently, the powers that be fight against change since they are the ones who stand to lose. We have millions of gas stations, mechanics shops and parts distributors for ICEngines, rail lines that are financially propped up by coal trains constantly running from east to west, oil tankers, refineries, and countless other industries to service our fossil fuel addiction. Changing that will take time.

Our GOP party talks about the loss of coal jobs in the southeast. On the other hand, the number of technical jobs that are high paying for solar and wind install and maintenance will far outweigh loss of coal jobs. The razing of whole mountains for coal, the water pollution, hazardous work environments, destruction of ecosystems, and countless other negatives can be eliminated by change.

Just creating a community where everyone rejects this way of life is possibly the best. You DO have the power to change by buying a plot of land there, building a natural home, and practicing permaculture. Google and read on the subject of permaculture, buy a few books, and share them with that community. Show them how to create a tourist economy while retaining their culture.

I know there are good groups in India, as they have rejected Monsanto and the genetically modified crops that lock farmers in a debt while poisoning the land and water. Find those grassroots organizations, then invite them out to your prize bouldering district to show the community how to do better than mere survival. You never know, you just might find a strong child in the village who would grow to become a top climber.

Keep fighting the good fight.

Clint

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Climbers can slow down the destruction of the p…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started