Mountain Project Logo

Mountaineers boots

Original Post
JoshuaSee · · Stanley, Idaho · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

I'm sure there may be 100 more posts similar to this, but, I'm thinking about getting some Nepal EVO's for the ice season. I wear a 10.5 street shoe and was curious what size EVO's I should get? Does anyone have input on a 1/2 size up or should I go whole? While I'm at it, does anyone have any input of the sportiva G2 SM's

Cory B · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 2,577

Half size up.

Sunny-D · · SLC, Utah · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 700

Find a reputable shop and have them fitted. The Evo is probably the most popular boot out there. At least in the USA.

ColinM McKim · · Frederick, CO · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 50

Best way to go is try on the different brands and different lasts within brands. If you're going to spend this much on boots you better get the model that fits you best. I got the La Sportiva Trango Extremes, which I just checked and it looks like they have been replaced with the Trango Ice Cube

Nate D · · Tacoma, WA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 950

I wear a 10.5EE or sometimes 11D, and have 45s in The Nepal Evo and Spantik and like that size. If I bought another spantik I might do 45.5 though.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
Sunny-D wrote:Find a reputable shop and have them fitted. The Evo is probably the most popular boot out there. At least in the USA.
+1

All this talk of sizing up makes for heel lift.

the sizing up is to fit bigger socks, no heel lift for me sized up 0.5 from my hiking boots

C Brooks wrote:the sizing up is to fit bigger socks, no heel lift for me sized up 0.5 from my hiking boots
Good for you. My hiking boots, runners, dress shoes and Jordans are size 12 or 46. My Phantom Guides are 46. My Rebel GTXs are 45.5. So how do we know if the OP's feet are like mine or like yours? What if he shops for G2 SM's? You don't wear thick socks with double boots.

^ No need to be a dick. Maybe he lives in an area like I do where no one carries mountain boots and can't try them on.

C Brooks wrote:^ No need to be a dick. Maybe he lives in an area like I do where no one carries mountain boots and can't try them on.
I'm only trying to educate. Apologies if you feel any static coming your way.

I live in F-ing Baltimore! The OP can't possibly live further from a decent shop than me. haha.. If the OP doesn't know how to size boots the best action is to hit a reputable gear shop. I thought I knew how to size boots until I got fitted.

I bought my Scarpa Phantom Guides and 6000s from the Mountaineer in Keene Valley. I don't know which boot felt worse in the store. I was sure I had purchased too big of a size. Both boots work great! Very warm, no hot spots, hike great and no heel lift. My 6000s are 47s.

Another option would be an Ice Fest if you're up for ice climbing, I demoed a pair of Scarpa Rebels in two sizes over two days. After wearing them all day it was easy to figure out what size to wear.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Mountaineers boots"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started