Mountain Project Logo

Why so many pictures of the same climbers? New Wasatch Guidebook

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016
BrokenChairs wrote: My point being why find reasons to nit pick someone else's hard work and commitment just be grateful for what was done.
Because obviously "WillyG" has put up routes and thinks he/she deserves to be in the guide book. His/her feelings were hurt so he/she made a fake MP account and pretended to start a conversation about it.

I think the book is stellar, and I'm glad to have it.
Tyler Phillips · · Cottonwood Heights, UT · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 3,210
Boissal wrote: Edit per Brian: another one of the authors is pretty good at takings pics too. TP though, that dude's a hack :).
Hey! I resemble that remark.

I understand the want for more faces. It's hard to convince climbing partners to go climb some obscure routes, let alone fish around for people to take pix of. Burr and Smirh have a really good eye, I enjoy the pix they brought to the table. It just so happens we are like you, and tend to climb in the same circles. Sorry your pic wasn't printed WillyG. I hope you like the book anyway. Happy Fall season people!
Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746
TylerPhillips wrote: Hey! I resemble that remark.
TP is in the hey-ouse...

Yeah, you do.

(Great job on the book! But, I still haven't cracked the code to figure out where the grail is yet...)
Past User · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 1,069

Kauai- have fun scrapbooking-it's time someone told you you're a weirdo...

Boissal- waiting to see the alternate cover for Shingo's Photo Album (with a link to where we can then print it ourselves!)

paintrain · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 75
Ken H wrote:Any chance someone has found a bible cover which fits this perfect?
"Armor of god" large fits the shingo tome snuggly. Might want the xl.
amazon.com/Armor-God-Bible-…
1Eric Rhicard · · Tucson · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 10,126

Really, REALLY!! Fuck man, you shoot the folks that are out there and that get after it with you. There is so much work putting a guidebook together that you just want to get some photos and finish the book. It is nice when an author tries to and gets a photo of all the major players in the area. Certainly nothing to gripe about on a forum. Not sure who Shingo O is but I suggest he create a calendar and have it ready by Christmas!

Charlie S · · NV · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 2,391
1Eric Rhicard wrote:Not sure who Shingo O is but I suggest he create a calendar and have it ready by Christmas!
The consensus-elected "Mayor of Little Cottonwood," and for good reason.
outdoorresearch.com/blog/at…
outdoorresearch.com/blog/st…

I'd buy that calendar!
Woodson · · Park City, Ut. · Joined May 2009 · Points: 180

I have my copy! And, this guidebook is well put together and thorough. Props to Nathan, Tyler, and Andrew. With the mayor in many shots, combined with one of the top climbing photographers in the world, what is there to criticize? Shingo has done more for the Salt Lake climbing community than almost anyone, so it it is well deserved pub. This guidebook has fueled my stoke.

tenesmus · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2004 · Points: 3,023

I submitted a few photos and guess what?

They totally sucked and Nate chose not to use them. Its almost like those guys know what they're doing. If you had any idea how many photos of Mike Perkins I have... And Casey Hyer and Drew Bedford, etc etc. We're a bunch of old guys who kind of look funny on film.

Since the book came out its inspired me to go to a few places I hadn't been or places I'd only seen once before. Who cares if they're crappy, it's still a lot of fun to take a few more photos.

11a at the Geometry Wall. Go do it!

As I was digging around, I found this butt shot. Still kind of fun.
Crystal Left

And then I found this one on my computer. Sure, you could make a case it's tainted by that Phillips guy. Still trying to process the original post but I think WillyG is making a case that I should be angry that Andy took a pic of his friend?

I'm not. This photo is what inspired me to get out and get after Specter/Apparition. I'd seen the line but its hard to actually get a good look at from down in the gully. I was sent this photo in November, when Tanners was closed down for the winter. It haunted me all that winter until I could beg Tyler and Luke to get up there with me the next spring. Traversing in to the top of that was exciting.

I say thank goodness guys like Nate and Andy and Casey like to take pics of their friends. Thank goodness Tyler, Luke, etc. take the time to take their friends climbing. Take the time to write shit down and try to remember what the hell they did on that obscure route 10 years ago. "How many bolts did I place on that? What gear did I use?"

What kind of jealous brat thinks otherwise?

Specter

Jeremy Polk · · Sandy, UT · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 5

Come on man! This sense of entitlement blows my mind. Why don't YOU create a guidebook? And then you can include whatever photos you want. Otherwise, curb the jealousy and say thanks for all the TIME, MONEY, and EFFORT these guys put into this book by heading over to IME and buying a copy. It's not like this was some publicly funded project or something. These guys did this out of their own pockets and they did a damn good job. That is all.

Tofu Brain · · Denver · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 45
Jeremy Polk wrote:Come on man! This sense of entitlement blows my mind. Why don't YOU create a guidebook? And then you can include whatever photos you want. Otherwise, curb the jealousy and say thanks for all the TIME, MONEY, and EFFORT these guys put into this book by heading over to IME and buying a copy. It's not like this was some publicly funded project or something. These guys did this out of their own pockets and they did a damn good job. That is all.
WillyG is most likely Mountain Dreamer...which would make perfect sense considering how great of a guy he is. I'm going to follow guideline #1 and stop here.
drewford · · Wasatch Back, UT · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 426

I believe it's called "eating your own dog food."

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Why so many pictures of the same climbers? New…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started