Mountain Project Logo

Going to RRG with mixed group... crag suggestions?

Original Post
A. Michael · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40

I am going to the Red with my family and some friends this weekend. Friend one climbs 5.13s, friend two 5.11s, I curse my way up 5.10, and wife is new to climbing and will have most fun <= 5.8. All sport, of course. I'd actually like some easy leads under 5.10, as I took a long break from climbing and have only been back outdoors 3-4 times this summer. So wife and I can probably be happy with the same routes.

I have a guide book (and MP, of course) but I am sure somebody has good suggestions for classics that fit our varying grades. Friend one is familiar with much of the Red, but I'd like to offer some input as well.

Carl Engelke · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

If you have a broad mix of climbing skill levels, Muir Valley is always a good option. There are tons of walls within hiking distance of each other that offer classic climbs at a variety of skill levels, from the easier climbs at Bruise Brothers, to moderates at Johnny's/Tectonic, to stiffer stuff at the Arsenal/Solarium/Sanctuary. Not a lot in the 5.13 range, but it might keep friend one engaged nevertheless.

MP: Muir Valley Page
Map of Muir Valley

Alan Rubin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 10

Muir Valley is the place. There may not be one single crag that will suit everyone's abilities, but many of the crags are in close proximity to each other so that folks can be working on (or flashing) harder projects just a few minutes walk from their friends playing on easier options, all in a very user-friendly environment.

A. Michael · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40

Cool, I have not been there yet. Been to Mother Lode, Phantasia, Military, Left Flank, and Drive By. I'll be going to Muir later in October, but it seems big enough for plenty of exploring.

Gumby King · · The Gym · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 52

Make sure you complete the waiver/s before going to RRG.

muirvalley.com/

Check out this website for rules and regulations. They do not allow dogs and hammocks among other things. Plus, I think there is a $10/car fee.

Alan Rubin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 10

Yes, there is now a $10 charge per car, well worth it given the effort that has gone into the preservation and maintenance of the area. And a full car makes it very cheap!!!

Ti ck · · souf yeast · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 1,790
Cory F wrote: do not allow... hammocks among other things.
NO HAMMOCKS!! what is this? communist Russia?
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Going to RRG with mixed group... crag suggestions?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started