Mountain Project Logo

El Potrero Chico (Mexico), mid-October

Original Post
Martin Wildner · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Hey guys! I'm flying to El Potrero Chico in the middle of October hoping to find a climbing partner either here, or worst case over there...I have rope and 6 quickdraws with me and can lead sport up to 5.12a.

Tyler Sawicki · · NM · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 105

Hey dude! I'm gonna be in El Potrero Chico from October 8-11. Looking for a partner, have 10 draws and lead about the same. Any chance you'll be around that early??

I arrive to Monterrey on 10th early in the morning (like 6:30) so we can do something on 10th and 11th...

For others I will be in El Potrero since 10th till 24th, come and join me anytime :-)

Tyler Sawicki · · NM · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 105

Awesome! I'm staying at either La Posada or Homeros, depending on availability. (Won't have a tent.) I'll look for you there!

Craig Childre · · Lubbock, TX · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 4,860

He he.... well... at 6 draws... that's about 1/3 of the bare minimum, depending on who you ask. For many, 20 is standard. Not criticizing you... I'd just hate for you to throw down for this trip, and come up short on gear. Enjoy, that place is sick, especially around your grade.

20?!? I thought like 12 is optimal (that's usually the case in Europe), so I thought that if whoever would join me brings 6 as well we are set...

But hopefully with Tyler we gonna have 16, that must be enough for good amount of routes no?

16 will be plenty, 12 you'll be fine too... I should qualify my assertion of 20.. as I only ran out of gear when I'd link pitches. Usually I could skip a bolt or two or back clean gear and stay relatively safe. Consider we were working off a 70M cord, which I'd recommend as well. Knowing many routes feature pitches that check in at 110' or more.

As an example... El Balota in lower Virgin Canyon a stellar 11d/12a, checks in with 12 bolts spread over a 110' plus chains. Of course, next door is the equally spactacular, Don Quixote at a mere 80'.

Thx for tips man!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Extended Trips and International Partners
Post a Reply to "El Potrero Chico (Mexico), mid-October"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started