Mountain Project Logo

Ridiculously Overpriced Climbing Clothes...............

Jason L. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 40

I love arc'teryx. For my dollar, it's been a great value. I make good money and don't spend it on many other expensive hobbies, so gear is quality, even if expensive. Expensive is all relative anyway. It fits well, I get compliments on looks and I trust in its ability to hold up for what I want it to do.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
Alexander K wrote: If you can tell me how to repair loss of loft in synthetic insulation I'd love to hear it. :D
There's nothing to fix. My Arcteryx Dually belay jacket is as warm as the day I bought it 9 years ago.
Morgan Patterson · · NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,945
Ball wrote: Yeah, nah. Maybe for a hard shell jacket, but shorts?
ya no, agreed there... I wouldnt buy their clothing unless it was heavily discounted. Most of it is euro cut (hate that shit) and i like my carhartts too much.
A. Michael · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40
Bill Kirby wrote: I'm still riding a 26er.
Me too. On One Inbred Single Speed. I am selling it though. I'm not that hard anymore. I am actually going to upgrade to something more befitting my old-man status once I start riding again. I'm thinking fat bike.
Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

I used to be vehemently opposed to Arcteryx because I thought they were simply an expensive brand. Then I got an Atom LT, which is one of my all time favorite pieces of gear, and I realized that the dead bird's fit and attention to detail is miles ahead of other brands. Now my layering system includes a Fortrez Hoody, which I love, and a Beta LT Hardshell. It's all really good stuff.

I wanted to love Patagonia. I really did! They sponsor Steve House AND Colin Haley - it must be the best, right? Unfortunately, Patagonia must use Lego people for their fit model, because I have never worn a Patagonia jacket that wasn't enormous in the torso, which is a shame. I don't want to fork over $300 for a DAS Parka that fits me like a garbage bag - so I went with the Black Diamond equivalent.

Jim T · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 469
chrisccc wrote: You should google USD vs CAD and USD vs RMB conversions before claiming that the USD is in decline.
You need to extend your charts farther back. Google will take you to a bunch of websites that will show you charts going back only 10 years. These charts look great for the USD. Further Google search will find better charts that go back to the 50's. Look at the period post 2001.

5yr USD vs CAD

5 Yr USD vs CAD

30yr USD vs CAD
Max

Nick Sweeney wrote: Unfortunately, Patagonia must use Lego people for their fit model
LMFAO - I've wondered the same too.
Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 195
Morgan Patterson wrote:5yr USD vs CAD Max USD vs CAD
this is so mountain project.

a gear question turns into two people arguing about strength of the US $
bob branscomb · · Lander, WY · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,198

It is absolutely nuts how expensive anything with 'climbing' on it is.

Climbing is mainstream now and the stream runs right through the little trust funders with the County22 plates on their Mercedes vans (with the cherry wood paneling on their cabinets).

They think nothing of 800$ but the upside is the rest of us can pick up what they leave off at the Methodist Thrift Shop when they get oh-so-bored with it.

Chris Owen · · Big Bear Lake · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 11,612

You can get one of these too:

German Army truck

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
Nick Sweeney wrote:I used to be vehemently opposed to Arcteryx because I thought they were simply an expensive brand. Then I got an Atom LT, which is one of my all time favorite pieces of gear, and I realized that the dead bird's fit and attention to detail is miles ahead of other brands. Now my layering system includes a Fortrez Hoody, which I love, and a Beta LT Hardshell. It's all really good stuff. I wanted to love Patagonia. I really did! They sponsor Steve House AND Colin Haley - it must be the best, right? Unfortunately, Patagonia must use Lego people for their fit model, because I have never worn a Patagonia jacket that wasn't enormous in the torso, which is a shame. I don't want to fork over $300 for a DAS Parka that fits me like a garbage bag - so I went with the Black Diamond equivalent.
I'm surprised you like the Fortrez hoody but feel like Patagonia is cut big. My XXL Fortrez and the old Patty R1 pullover are one of the only jackets that's large enough to fit my chest and shoulders well plus is long enough. XXL Patagonia gear these days seems like it's cut for short fat people that never lift in the gym. Marmot jackets, now there's gear cut like a garbage bag. I go for my Marmot ROM jacket after eating like a fat slob in the Autumn.

Now a days all the gear I try on seems like it's cut much slimmer.
Dana Walters 1 · · Pacific Northwest · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 212

I must be lucky because I have found that the small in most of the elite outdoor brands fits my frame well across the spectrum

50% Lego People Clothing... patagonia.com/shop/web-spec…

Matt Westlake · · Durham, NC · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 662

Ok, I can't resist. I love a few select Arcteryx pieces, but this one just cracks me up:

veilance.arcteryx.com/Produ…

Really though I agree with everybody else - if you want to own clothes that have all of the nice fit features, look for the stuff you want on clearance and don't get hung up on color (ok, maybe not these pants/shorts - these are just silly).

That said, I like the fortez fleece and find it a good companion to the R1 Hoody (or at least the older model R1). Looks like this year's is thinner and without the elasticy part that fits under your harness.

Wow... $300 for the ugliest pair of shorts... really?

Locker · · Yucca Valley, CA · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 2,349

For your average Jill/Joe cragmasters, buying climbing clothes is more about saying, "I'm a climber", than anything else.

For the "Mountaineers", Ice climbers and the likes, different story.

Matt Westlake · · Durham, NC · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 662

$350 actually.

And they don't even have a ridiculous built in harness :)

(OK - I guess it's $350 CD)

Doug18 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0

Buy Quality you only cry once!
Take care of your gear and it will take care of you!
Words to live by.
I have some jackets and fleece from early 90's that I still use. Because it is quality and I take care of it. But yes things have gotten expensive that includes food, cars, gas, and hookers.
Enjoy the outdoors

Ball · · Oakridge, OR · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 70
Doug18 wrote:Take care of your gear
...by shoving limbs in cracks and bush-whacking through cat claws?
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Ridiculously Overpriced Climbing Clothes.......…"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.