Mountain Project Logo

Under Armor Cold Gear?

Original Post
El Duderino · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 70

Is there a particular reason these seem to be relegated to high school football teams? They seem like they would be appropriate synthetic cold-season base layers if the fragility and long dry times of merino are a concern. Thoughts?

RobG814 · · Wilmington, NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 335

I have had the same Under Armour top and pants for over 10 years that I have used as a snowboarding base layer every season. They have held up great and are nice and toasty, I would definitely recommend.

Brett Kitchen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 10

Solid wicking base layer when doing anything outdoors for me. Just don't put it in the dryer, ruins the elasticity and the wicking qualities.

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5

I've also had a top/bottom pair for over 10 years. For long backpacking trips or expeditions obviously wool won't stink as bad, but I use the UA way more often for day trips/overnights. And you just throw it in the regular wash with your dirties, no gentle cycle, no Woolite or other BS. I can't say for sure it's the same quality these days but they were definitely one of the best values I've purchased over the years.

Clint White aka Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 151

I have never experienced long dry times with merino wool, though I lack the test data as I have no synthetic base layers. Hopefully we can trust the Outdoor Gear Lab:

m.outdoorgearlab.com/Long-U…

An expedition company owner I know swears by the merino wool too. As for durability, it is usually under clothing.

Small holes can be darned using fine thread in a spider-on-acid web pattern. Place the garment in a knitting hoop and darn away, or ask granny to do it for some adventure between the generations time.

Also, the merino baselayer makes a really cool light show in your sleeping bag when you get in and out from the wool vs bag material. Electrifying!

Jorden Kass · · Belmont, MA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 0

I have a UA synthetic base layer that is good , but not as warm as my smartwool. I also have a UA soft shell that is quite good and I've worn it on ice a bunch

Clint White aka Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 151
Jorden Kass wrote:I have a UA synthetic base layer that is good , but not as warm as my smartwool. I also have a UA soft shell that is quite good and I've worn it on ice a bunch
Jorden, I am terribly sorry for doing this... your comment sounds like Trump composed it. He has a good brain, ya know! The debates just rocked the world with 'Murica's greatness. Please don't hate me for violating rule #1.

On another note, here is a hunting forum thread on this topic that has some back and forth. One linked study does state Merino dries slower.
rokslide.com/forums/clothin…

Merino is the product of millions of years of evolution (or some detailed design work, depending on where you were schooled;-). I have never worn or purchased capilene since my merino base works so damn well at keeping me warm, wicking moisture, drying quickly, and not stinking. Does anyone have a good link to a quality study with quantifiable numbers? I have often wondered about water retention and heat retention, as well as the insulation per g/m2.

Edit: per Extreme Alpinism by Mark Twight, first layer should evaporate moisture well while balancing heat, and second layer should let that moisture evaporate more easily. Going by memory, just needed a reminder to find the quote and page #.
Healyje · · PDX · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 422

For an upper base layer I used UA cold gear for years until Columbia came out with these quite briefly - they are superior in every way and still available new from one seller on ebay…

Columbia "Solar Polar" Omni Freeze Crew T-Shirt

ebay.com/itm/New-Mens-Colum…

Tobin Story · · Woodinville, WA · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 35

I used Under Armour coldgear as an athlete in high school. I think it's warmer than Patigonia capilene 2, but not quite as warm as a Capilene 3 or 200 wt merino. The issue I always had with the coldgear as a baselayer for extended outdoor activities was that it stayed wet for a long time. I'd guess this is due to the high spandex content in the fabric, but once damp I swear that stuff took hours to dry - maybe that's just poor recollection from too many cold post-game huddles in a sweaty wet shirt.

There are many anecdotal comments above. This guy did some great compiling of info on BPL, and the comments are peppered with additional info and links:

backpackinglight.com/forums…

Also, if you may wear this at work in a high voltage environment in addition to play, the ARC FLASH potential of melting clothing to your skin is a nasty way to go.

workrite.com/news/common-el…

I also choose as environmentally conscious as possible, which is difficult in outdoor pursuits.

I am going to run some trials on my merino base layers vs other base options. Does anyone have any beat up old stinky Capilene they would donate? I would cover shipping. PM me.

Tony Hot Chocolate · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 450

I have a under armour top for sale if anyone wants to buy it. I believe it's a medium or large. Text me for details. 516 330 7524

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Under Armor Cold Gear?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started