Mountain Project Logo

Passing of Dr. Alfred Kwok

Original Post
Conor Galvin · · Santa Ana, CA · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 90

The Southern California climbing community suffered a tragic loss a couple of days ago. Dr. Alfred Kwok, a professor of physics at Pomona College, passed away while on a solo adventure in the Southern Sierras this weekend. The following message, originally posted on Facebook by Dr. Kwok's family, was reposted on the missing climber thread:

"Dear Friends of Alfred Kwok,
It is with great sadness and regret that we must inform you that Alfred Kwok has passed on from this world to our loss. Heaven has required his full attention and presence. We were notified last night that a body had been spotted by the National Park Service rescue helicopter in the vicinity where Alfred was expected to be hiking, but due to impending weather conditions, the body was not able to be recovered until this morning. Park Rangers have positively identified the corpse as belonging to Alfred, and family members are on the way to receive him. From the preliminary autopsy, Alfred suffered a quick death from a fall and did not suffer for long. We know that Alfred touched many people’s lives and will be making arrangements for a memorial service to take place in or around Claremont, CA in the near future. When those arrangements are finalized, we will post the details here on Facebook. In the mean time, we would like to request that people think of one or two favorite memories or photos of Alfred and post them here on this Facebook thread, so that we can all share in the grieving process, but also to celebrate the blessing that Alfred has been in our lives. Enoch Kwok, for the Kwok Family. 1:40PM 9/21/2016"

Dr. Kwok was an inspiration, mentor, partner, and friend to countless members of the Claremont Colleges climbing community. His boundless enthusiasm for climbing and the outdoors in general was infectious. He took it upon himself time and time again to introduce freshman and novices to the wonders of Southern California climbing. Dr. Kwok was my academic advisor freshman year, and he immediately began to nurture my development and growth as a climber. Many of my fellow students were likewise influenced by Dr. Kwok, and we will all mourn the loss of our friend and teacher. The Claremont Colleges climbing community will not be the same without him.

Bulborn · · Arroyo Grande, CA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 100

Such a sad loss.I climbed with Alfred and know that this would have been the only way for him wanting to go.My heart is with his family.

Br3tt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

I had the pleasure of climbing with Alfred twice. As someone new to climbing there's always a bit of apprehension when you first climb with someone more experienced -- you don't want to "pull them down" to your easy/moderate grades.

Alfred not only laughed out loud when I explained this to him at the end of the day, but he made a point to spend another hour or so with me going through an anchor setup I had questions about.

He didn't have to spend an hour with me -- hell he didn't have to agree to climb with me a second time -- but he did. Little things like that are insights into who people truly are, and though I only met him twice his willingness to go out of the way and do something he didn't have to will stick with me (and be passed forward).

tpeckdmin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 5

Hi Everyone: I am Alfred's pastor and fellow climbing enthusiast. The family is planning a memorial service on Saturday October 8 in Claremont. More details will be forthcoming. I know the family would love to have as many of you attend as possible.

Hi friends: Alfred's pastor here again. A memorial service has been planed for Alfred on Saturday, October 8 at 3 PM. The service will be held at Little Bridges Auditorium at Pomona College in Claremont. The address is 150 E 4th St, Claremont, CA 91711. Alfred's family would like to invite any of his climbing friends to attend.

Jeff Scofield · · Yorba Linda, CA · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 476

Tim I'll be there looking forward to meeting you and talking about Alfred.....Wish I could of met you under different circumstances..

Jeff

And you as well Jeff. Alfred talked highly about your times together. I'll see you on the 8th.

Chad Namolik · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 2,905

Very sad news.
RIP Alfred.

I climbed, camped and enjoyed some time with Alfred on several occasions. Great person, big heart, kind soul. I remember him and his bagels. He always spoke highly of his students. Loved climbing. Will be missed.

Chad

Alfred coming up Sanitarium 5.9+ at Dome Rock

Jeff Scofield · · Yorba Linda, CA · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 476
tpeckdmin wrote:Hi friends: Alfred's pastor here again. A memorial service has been planed for Alfred on Saturday, October 8 at 3 PM. The service will be held at Little Bridges Auditorium at Pomona College in Claremont. The address is 150 E 4th St, Claremont, CA 91711. Alfred's family would like to invite any of his climbing friends to attend.
Sorry wanted to bump this to top of thread....Al's memorial is this Saturday hope some of his climbing buddies will be there...

Jeff

Here is video of Alfred's memorial service yesterday: ustream.tv/recorded/92066029

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Memorial
Post a Reply to "Passing of Dr. Alfred Kwok"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started