Mountain Project Logo

Pushmataha Oklahoma Bouldering Field

Jake Gluck · · AZ · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 119

I drove by it the other week on. I was on 43 going southwest and the road I'd have to turnoff to get to Rocktown Rd had a closed gate on it and definitely looked like private property.

C. McGannon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 0

It looks like there is access from the south, taking johns valley road, though either direction's gonna be a hike. I'm curious about hunting permits that some timber companies lease out for their land and if that would be a legal option to at the very least go scope out the rocks.

Jake Gluck · · AZ · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 119

Let us know when you hear back from the timber company. If you get permission to go up there and want more people just let me know. I only live three hours away.

SonnyA · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

I grew up going to the area every weekend. Rock Town is a wonderful place. I did not climb as a kid, other than your typical childhood scrambling. I do think that these visits to Rock Town planted the seed for my love of climbing. I couldn't tell you if the rock was good but as a kid I didn't care, it was the magic of the place that I cared about. Recently, There was 160 acre plot of land for sale near Clayton, off of rock town rd, that is in the Far East end of this Boulder field and the pictures give you a good idea of what the Rock is like. Unfortunately, my recent attempts to go back have lead me only to white gates across every entry, from the north and the south. This past weekend I was in the area and spoke with every local that I could flag down. Everyone said that it was now privately owned and the owner had put up fencing and gates, not to keep cattle in but to keep the people out. Apparently the owner had a lot of trash problems and people not respecting the place. Sad! Hopefully that is just all local rumors.

My leads on this place have all dried up but I really want to check it out still. Anyone have contacts with the Access fund or another climbing access group that might have more success in opening a dialogue with the land owners. I feel like this place could be a huge find if it gets opened.

landandfarm.com/property/64…

Here's another set of pics from a different parcel of land in the area. The amount of virgin rock in this county is insane and looks to be of high quality. We need some sort of in on this place if only for exploratory purposes.
Kevin Wagoner · · Broken Arrow, Oklahoma · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 45

Tim McGivern · · Medford, ma · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 12,579

Bump. Anyone get in there yet?

Danny Andrews · · Austin, TX · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 286

Has anyone tried to get on these supposed public-access forest trails (Clear Creek, Crumb creek, and High Rock)? Sounds promising. I might head up there myself this weekend if I get the chance.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/offroad-trails-clayton-oklahoma-111926.html

Danny Andrews · · Austin, TX · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 286
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Bouldering
Post a Reply to "Pushmataha Oklahoma Bouldering Field"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started