Mountain Project Logo

Whats in your rescue kit?

Original Post
WhiskeyDan · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 65

Hello all,

I've been learning around self rescue and started putting together a kit that I can have while climbing. I'd like some feed back on the kit that I have so far, and any recommendations for anything else. What do you/would you carry in your rescue kit?

2 - Prussiks (1-5mm cord, and 1-sterling hollow block)
1 - 15' 7mm cordelette
1 - Knife
1 - tibloc
1 - SMC Descending Ring

Thanks for your input

Climb Germany · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 2,505

Maybe some tubular webbing?

When specifically were you thinking of carrying this? multipitch? Alpine?

WhiskeyDan · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 65

Multi Pitch mostly.. but wouldn't mind hearing about recommendations for alpine.

Max Forbes · · Colorado · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 108

I carry a second Prussic, knife and ropeman on an old biner. Typically I'm usually carrying a cord and a main prussic anyways, so I don't carry a second one specifically since that's a lot of weight. Used this little kit a bunch, typically for stuck ropes or juggling a line when ropes didn't reach.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

I carry a tibloc, 60 cm sling, 120cm sling, a long prussik on an old leaver biner.

Climb Germany · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 2,505

I dont have a kit per se, but I just have a big oval locker, tibloc, knife and then a quick link, rap ring and bail biner. I usually carry 2 prussiks anyway.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

You forgot the flask of whiskey and cell phone.

Cor · · Sandbagging since 1989 · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 1,445

Scotch, and I'm not talking about the tape! ;)

The larger - solid (not the skinny rolled aluminum!) rap rings are a good belay device backup!

A chalk bag with a zipper pocket is perfect to hold that and a knife.
Use good 6mil cord for the chalk belt (make it long..) Now you have everything you need.

Oh, and don't forget to put some TP in that chalk bag pocket. You did say for emergencies!!

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
ViperScale wrote:You forgot the flask of whiskey and cell phone.
I like those electronic cigarette bowls. Travel ready, no weed falls out and no need for a lighter.

I never leave the concrete jungle without my Spot beacon :)
Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86
Cor wrote: Oh, and don't forget to put some TP in that chalk bag pocket. You did say for emergencies!!
Just take a Restop. I always have one with me. They pack tiny when you buy the bulk rolled up ones. Better than leaving your poo all over.
Hank Caylor · · Livin' in the Junk! · Joined Dec 2003 · Points: 643

PERCOCETS!!!!

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419
Hank Caylor wrote:PERCOCETS!!!!
Hay! No!, not that Visine bottle%^D
Gno Verucchi · · Boulder, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 35

^^^ +1 for Percocets, I also carry some super glue, small suture kit, tribloc, knife, rap rings and cord, a condom and some jolly ranchers

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

If one prussik is occupied for extending a rappel, might be tough to ascend with just one other. Try it out. I could get by with one foot, but if I had to go very far up, two fir feet is more workable. You also need to have a short one for your top half, unless you're fine with the possibility of hanging in space by one foot in a cord, on an already effed climb.

Morgan Patterson · · NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,960
Hank Caylor wrote:PERCOCETS!!!!
Y
E
S
Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

The other posts on this would all mention more water than you think you need, enough to get through a night, if it gets to that, and if you are really out there somewhere, a reliable check in person. Not what you are asking, but part of how you should be thinking.

Self rescue, IMO, is for keeping small oopses from becoming big ones, like stuck hair in a rap device. The "self" part, far, far more often than the "rescue" part. For that, SAR would want you to not try and be a hero. Hunker down, do what you can for an injured party, and stay put so they can find you. And, have that call-in in place.

A few people on here are capable of a double rap. Most of us, I really doubt it.

Kevin Neville · · Oconomowoc, WI · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 15

Headlamp.

pkeds · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 30

2 prussiks
1 oval carabiner
1 small knife

thats pretty much all you need in my opinion. im assuming we have 2 cordelettes between us. everything else is just clutter and weight. maybe a small pulley? the oval carabiner is way nicer than a normal carabiner for doing hauling. it might change slightly if doing glacier travel where id add for sure a pulley and a texas prussik.

Br3tt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0
Gno Verucchi wrote:^^^ +1 for Percocets, I also carry some super glue, small suture kit, tribloc, knife, rap rings and cord, a condom and some jolly ranchers
Sounds like a party.

+1 to the SPOT/PLB when going out alone.
chris magness · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 590

Seems to me that you're talking about the specific genre of rock climbing. Aside from longer, less frequented routes --where a knife and headlamp can be handy-- why carry a rescue kit? I loathe clutter while I'm leading. If your gear is multi-purposed, you shouldn't have to carry extra stuff. In a multipitch environment, you're likely to have a cord already (leader and second). Carry nylon slings for some of your extendable draws and you should be set. A 3:1 requires one sling and one biner, a downward pull 5:1 requires 2 slings and 2 biners, and you can construct pretty complicated systems with a cord, a few slings, and a few biners. I've never carried a rap ring, you're likely to have a few dozen biners that fit this purpose well.

Ice climbing has gotten me into the habit of carrying a hollow block for a rappel back-up and a quick 3:1, and I always have at least one 48" runner.

Also, a competent second and a bail plan are always good.

Sam Bedell · · Bend, OR · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 442

I don't know why people would take leaver biners on gear-only multis. You don't need a leaver to rap off tat. It makes sense when you have bolts but even then if you're just rapping you shouldn't need it.

As for everything else I take it is hugely dependent on route.

Spot gets left at home if we're in a truly remote place... they can't help you if no one can reach you (or you're already dead) so its just extra weight. If its alpinism I always bring the long screw and extra cord, even if we're planning to solo all the ice or climb a rock butt... you never know where there will be some ice and need to rap. Multi-pitch rock I just have the lightest prusiks possible (cord for autoblocking raps is one, and any other cord or or sling can be the other). Knife is a must on long routes or anything with loose rock where you might get a coreshot, tape too. Percocet stays at home usually but comes along if loose rock or fall potential could warrant a major traumatic injury AND both partners need to be conscious for a descent (should probably bring it more often).

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Whats in your rescue kit?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started