Mountain Project Logo

Ticks for routes not on MP

Original Post
Adam Fleming · · AMGA Certified Rock Guide; SLC · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 441

There's a local crag that isn't listed on MP. The owners don't want it listed on here either. I use MP's tick feature to keep track of my progress and make general notes.

Is there a way I can add a generic climb so I can keep my stats accurate?

Speaking of ticks, is there any way to edit them once they're made? I often create ticks with the wrong date and need to delete, then make a new one to fix it.

Luke R · · Athens, GA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 704

To my knowledge, you have to delete the tick and re-add it.

And I don't think there's any functionality to tick without having a route.

One thing you could do is use the 'MyClimb' app, which allows you to tick climbs and title them/add comments, etc, even without a route. It also assigns a point system to your climbing, which of course can be a good or a bad thing. Seems like it would fit your requirements though. I use it to help track progress on my gym climbs since I don't log them on MP

Daniel Kaye · · Denver, CO · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 3,938

I've been kinda wanting a feature that would allow this to.

I just find an 'unknown' climb of similar style/grade/pitches, and use that instead. Only side effect is it looks like I've climbed all over the country in a day, and sometimes unknown routes get updated with names.

Ron Birk · · Boston, MA · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 4,263
Daniel Kaye wrote:I've been kinda wanting a feature that would allow this to. I just find an 'unknown' climb of similar style/grade/pitches, and use that instead. Only side effect is it looks like I've climbed all over the country in a day, and sometimes unknown routes get updated with names.
You could create a new "vanilla area" in the "In progress" section with vanilla routes of all grades and tick them off. Then in the tick comment you can put what it really was. Just an idea :)
Ron Birk wrote: You could create a new "vanilla area" in the "In progress" section with vanilla routes of all grades and tick them off. Then in the tick comment you can put what it really was. Just an idea :)
Good one! I think I'll give this a go.

Here it is! mountainproject.com/v/gener…

Any admin opposed? If so, just take it down.
Sam Jones · · Colorado springs · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 1,392

Yea thank you! I really like this! Would you mind if I put my ticks on there and add on to the trad grades?

SammyJ wrote:Yea thank you! I really like this! Would you mind if I put my ticks on there and add on to the trad grades?
Go right ahead. This isn't for me, it's for everyone.
Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

Since someone so nicely asked... the admins approve.

And I'll make ticks editable sometime next month.

Nick Wilder wrote:Since someone so nicely asked... the admins approve. And I'll make ticks editable sometime next month.
Thank you, Nick! This seems like a pretty good workaround. Editable ticks would make me so happy. Keep up the good work!
DrApnea · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 265

Now it just needs to update to the phone app

Ron Birk · · Boston, MA · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 4,263
DrApnea wrote:Now it just needs to update to the phone app
I'm not sure you can download the "In Progress" area on the phone.
DrApnea · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 265

You still cannot download the in progress area onto the phone as far as I know.  Any chance in getting it available on the phone app? 

Zachary Winters · · Winthrop, WA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 420

Thanks for this. Very useful!
Would be awesome to have this available offline/ in the app too!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Ticks for routes not on MP"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.