Mountain Project Logo

Should I retire my cam?

Original Post
Iver Cleveland · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 15

I am just wondering if I should retire this cam. It walked into a crack and I had to use a nut tool to get it out. There is no fraying or cutting of the wires/stems and it wasn't weighted. The only issue is that the wires are bent. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

If you are talking about the trigger wires being bent, they (continued use of the cams) are fine.

Looks like one of the cables is curved, but too hard to tell from the photo if that's a problem.

Bent trigger wires = no problem.

SRB25 · · Woodside, ca · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 5

Depends on who you ask. Many people would say it looks fine from the photos. It's not kinked especially near the head. Looks ok to me.

Barrett Pauer · · Brevard, NC · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 775

I can send a shipping address for proper retirement and disposal...

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,625

That^
But a good rule is if you are climbing above it, and you don't trust it.....why do you have it. It looks as if there is nothing structurally wrong....
$.02

Matt Carroll · · Van · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 249

bomber assuming the action is still smooth.

john strand · · southern colo · Joined May 2008 · Points: 1,640

Looks like one of mine !

if you doubt it in any way..toss it

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

Bend it back to straight (or as close to it as you can manage) and climb on. (Seriously)

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419
Gunkiemike wrote:Bend it back to straight (or as close to it as you can manage) and climb on. (Seriously)
When I saw this post pop up I thought it was a joke. That looks like a almost new unit!?
If the climbing gear you buy theses days is disposable, put suspect gear into a rotation.
Pick a time line; 6 months to whatever you feel or have read to be the usable life-span of the piece.
Then trade out anything that gets tweeked. Eventually you will have a second rack and the wisdom acquired through climbing & using gear to assess what pieces have more to give and what needs to be turned into art.
slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103

i would be concerned about the bends in the cables causing the trigger to bind up a bit, which wouldn't be a good thing.

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

I bootied a cam like that years ago and climbed with it for a time, but ultimately it was a pain in the ass compared to the cams that weren't warped, so off the rack it dropped.

Jo Mer · · Eugene, OR · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 104

That looks like a Metolius cam. If you are really concerned, send it to them for an inspection and if needed a rewiring.
metoliusclimbing.com/cam-ca…

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "Should I retire my cam?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started