Mountain Project Logo

Best entry level/cheap GoPro...

Original Post
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

Hey everyone,

So, I've decided to be one of "those guys" who sticks a camera on his helmet and starts recording stuff, lol. In all seriousness, though, I'm in the market for a GoPro for "adventure" photography but trying to narrow down which exact model. I thought about hitching onto Ivy's general use camera thread but realized my needs were more specific. I climb (obviously), bike, ski, and also dive, and the waterproof capabilities of the pros were what cinched the deal for me, as I've always wanted to take diving pictures.

I am not a professional photographer and don't need the kinds of features/performance on a Hero 4 Black or Silver (plus they are way out of my price range), so I'm looking at either a Hero+ HD/LCD or an older model. I considered the Session because it seems to have the highest video quality out of all of the entry levels, but it's only waterproof to 30', which makes it potentially dicey for diving. :( How important/useful is the built in LCD? I know that it will obviously be useless if you're mounting the camera, but it seems like it would make it better for taking regular photographs.

So, which model would you guys recommend in the $100-300 range? My priorities are:

1) Waterproof (has to be to at least 30M)
2) Price
3) Video quality

Brendan N · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 405

If you want the GoPro form factor you can get a clone for much cheaper with the same/better specs. Look on Amazon.
Sony makes a better action cam in the $100 range.

Hmm..cool. I figured that would happen eventually.

Crispy. · · Chicago · Joined May 2014 · Points: 70

Ted, I'm in Chicago and I might be interested in parting ways with mine. Takes awesome video and I have no complaints about it, but I just don't use it enough to justify keeping it. Pretty sure it's a Hero 3+ Black, but I can double check when I get home. Comes with two extra batteries and a case for everything. If you're interested, I'm happy to let you check it out and we can talk price. Can meet you at FA.

Chris

Johnny Kipp · · St Albert Alberta · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 105

Check Costco. They usually have a pretty good deal on GoPro cameras.

Fernando Cal · · SLC, UT · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 25

I recommend the hero4 silver. I surf, free dive, bike, and climb and use it for everything. The LCD camera and wifi capability are my favorite features. The casing also takes a beating. The accessories is what will break your bank account, but you can opt for some cheaper alternatives through ebay or amazon...although, not guaranteed by gopro.

My brother lost his gopro while water skiing (camera fell off chest harness) and Gopro sent in a replacement...

My two cents..towards your 399.99 dollar camera....Oh and the new 5 is coming out so you can probably find the 4 cheaper somewhere.

So, not sure why this thread was resurrected, but I've already bought, and broken, my GoPro lol.

Ted Pinson wrote:So, not sure why this thread was resurrected, but I've already bought, and broken, my GoPro lol.
BUMP!
Johnny Kipp · · St Albert Alberta · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 105

Haha, my bad, I was looking for info on Gopro and stumbled across this thread, I obviously didn't look at the last entry date before I responded.
I lost mine once, came off my snowboard, as I was marching back up the hill to look for it a lady came down and gave it back to me. I gave her a beer out of my backpack for the kind gesture, its all I had with me.

Johnny Kipp wrote:Haha, my bad, I was looking for info on Gopro and stumbled across this thread, I obviously didn't look at the last entry date before I responded. I lost mine once, came off my snowboard, as I was marching back up the hill to look for it a lady came down and gave it back to me. I gave her a beer out of my backpack for the kind gesture, its all I had with me.
who looks at the post dates?
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Fernando Cal wrote: who looks at the post dates?
People who don't want to be clueless?

Yeah, I had it on the strap thing as a helmet cam but apparently didn't secure it properly, and it slipped off about 40' up a pitch. Outer case was shattered but the camera itself appeared undamaged, but now it won't turn on so I'm afraid the shock must have bricked it. :(

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Photos & Videos
Post a Reply to "Best entry level/cheap GoPro..."

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.