Mountain Project Logo

Good sport routs Boulder Canyon or Estes Park

Original Post
Blakevan · · Texas · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 56

Any recommendations for good 5.8, 5.9 sport routes in Boulder Canyon or around Estes Park? We will only be there two days so looking for a short hike in and good protection. We were thinking Jurassic Wall but hear from friends that it is easy to get lost getting there.

Can climb up to 5.10C on lead but as we all know that is dependent on how soft or sand bagged the routes are so really looking to stay within our limits.

Casey W · · Denver, CO · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

young and rackless, 5.9, is a fun 3/4 pitch sport route in boulder. Brown Palace in big thompson canyon is 6 pitches, 11a? I thought it was tough but still good.

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

Jurassic Park is pretty and not that confusing. If the weather cooperates it would be a pleasant destination.

Grades in Boulder Canyon are reputed to be soft and bolts are frequent, so you may be able to expand your rating comfort zone.

Dream Canyon is a nice (albeit somewhat confusing!) area. Mixed sun and shade. Away from the road noise.

Avalon may have the nicest shady moderates.

The Sport Park actually has some good routes, a wide range of grades, mixed sun and shade. Some chipping, squeezed routes and a general circus atmosphere.

Cascade Crag has weird squeezed bolting but a high concentration of routes in your range I believe. Also a bit of a circus. Mostly shady.

The Bihedral might work for you. Has a 4th class approach and an exposed ledge for a staging area though.

Thanks guys. Yeah, the wife isn't into exposure or 4th class approaches but the others sound awesome. Cannot wait and the weather looks good so far but I know that can change in a minute in that area.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

In general, Boulder area will work much better for what you're looking for than Estes.

Adam Paashaus · · Greensboro, NC · Joined May 2007 · Points: 791

Are you camping? If so, I would recommend The Monastery. Sure the hike is a bit long but the routes plentiful, the views incredible, protection ample, the rock is great...

Bapgar 1 · · Out of the Loop · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 90

Mark's beta is spot on.

Camping in RMNP but starting in Boulder at a friend's house. They don't climb so will head into the canyon on Sunday and then up to RMNP for some awesome weather and loud elk.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Good sport routs Boulder Canyon or Estes Park"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started