Mountain Project Logo

Best climbing crags for Thanksgiving?

Original Post
Armando Rios · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Hey guys!

My roommate and I just moved to Dallas, TX a couple of months ago. So far we've headed over to Wichita and HCR and now we're looking for the best of the best crags here in the States. We don't really mind having to drive for hours as long as the climbing is worth it.

Any good ideas regarding where we could go during Thanksgiving? Our main concern is the cold weather, we wouldn't want to get there and not be able to climb.

Thanks guys!

Will Haden · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 90

Girlfriend and I are headed to the Red River Gorge and then a few spots in Arkansas on the way back to KC over xgiving.

Will Haden wrote:Girlfriend and I are headed to the Red River Gorge and then a few spots in Arkansas on the way back to KC over xgiving.
I heard RRG get's pretty cold during that time. Wouldn't that be a turn off?
Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
Armando Rios wrote:Hey guys! My roommate and I just moved to Dallas, TX a couple of months ago. So far we've headed over to Wichita and HCR and now we're looking for the best of the best crags here in the States. We don't really mind having to drive for hours as long as the climbing is worth it. Any good ideas regarding where we could go during Thanksgiving? Our main concern is the cold weather, we wouldn't want to get there and not be able to climb. Thanks guys!
Dallas isn't too terribly far from El Potrero Chico and Thanksgiving would be a great time to head there.
kennoyce wrote: Dallas isn't too terribly far from El Potrero Chico and Thanksgiving would be a great time to head there.
Thanks man! But we actually just moved here from Mexico so we're looking forward to visiting more of the States. Eventually we'll go back to Mexico and hit up Potrero Chico.
Will Haden · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 90

No esta tan feo el clima.

intellicast.com/Local/Histo…

Me avisan si terminan alla. Estaria padre escalar con unos mexicanos!

Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 40

RRG can def be cold at thanksgiving. I would recommend the Tennessee wall.

Jeff Mekolites · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 5,250

T Wall will only be open on Thursday and Friday of Thanksgiving weekend...and besides the climbing there is terrible...and so it the weather...nothing to see here move along...

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Isn't Indian Creek the place to be on Thanksgiving?

ChadMartino · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 45

The Creek or any crag in Arizona.

Brookey Ingle · · Durango, CO · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 35

Creeksgiving!

Jordan Marvel · · Tempe, AZ · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 5

Cochise Stronghold in AZ is primetime

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194

Red Rocks in Las Vegas or Josh.

JK- Branin · · NYC-ish · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 56
Matt Himmelstein wrote:Red Rocks in Las Vegas or Josh.
I've spent the Monday-Wednesday before thanksgiving at Red Rock each of the last three years. It's an awesome time to be there. Great weather, not to crowded, all the hotels are screaming deals because Vegas isn't really a thanksgiving destination.
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252
Jeff Mekolites wrote:T Wall will only be open on Thursday and Friday of Thanksgiving weekend...and besides the climbing there is terrible...and so it the weather...nothing to see here move along...
LOL.

Anyways, there's some decent climbing in South Texas/Austin. Green belt or Reimer's Ranch if you're into sport, Enchanted Rock if you're into trad. Maybe not world class, but solid and not a bad drive from Dallas compared to other options. The weather would be perfect around then.
Dylan Pike · · Knoxville, TN · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 488

Lol at The Red being too cold in Nov.

Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 40
Dylan Pike wrote:Lol at The Red being too cold in Nov.
Actually it really can be on some days. How can you climb with completely numb hands at 35 degrees?
Steve Williams · · The state of confusion · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 235

Couldn't be anyplace better than Turkey Rocks!!!!!

hee hee hee. . . . if it isn't snowed in by then.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

You totally can climb at the Red in November, you just have to be selective about your crags...which you can easily do, since it's virtually deserted by Thanksgiving. Look for south facing walls or east facing walls in the morning, west facing in the afternoon. Basically, the opposite of what you would do in May-Sept. Just make sure you're in sun all day and avoid shady crags in the morning, as it does suck when you lose sensation in your fingers while climbing.

Dylan Pike · · Knoxville, TN · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 488
Ted Pinson wrote:You totally can climb at the Red in November, you just have to be selective about your crags...which you can easily do, since it's virtually deserted by Thanksgiving. Look for south facing walls or east facing walls in the morning, west facing in the afternoon. Basically, the opposite of what you would do in May-Sept. Just make sure you're in sun all day and avoid shady crags in the morning, as it does suck when you lose sensation in your fingers while climbing.
Yep. Stay in the sun.
Nicholas King 1 · · Grand Junction, Colorado · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 20

CreeksGiving! (indian creek).
I went last year, the weather was amazing, and the climbing was phenomenal as well. Planning on going again this year.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Best climbing crags for Thanksgiving?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started