Mountain Project Logo

Gear lost (likely stolen) in SF Bay Area

Original Post
Nina Kilham · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 5

I forgot a bag with my gear at a carwash, and it's now in the ether. If anyone runs across these items for sale, I would greatly appreciate letting me know. If you're wondering how that happened, read the comments. And, yes, I know I'm an idiot.

The cams are marked with purple nail polish.

Thanks!
Nina

Black Diamond C4 #3 (yellow)
Metolius Mastercam 00 (purple)
Metolius Mastercam 03 (orange)
Petzl Grigri 2 belay device
Petzl william Locker
Petzl Luna women’s harness (s)
Five Ten Anasazi women’s climbing shoes

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Was it stolen at the car wash? Did you talk to the owner and file a police report?

Edit: If it actually happened while you were personally washing your car, how did it happen? Curious...

Redyns · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 60

good call Frank. i was wondering the same thing. must be that Cali weed.

yeah...i guess that needs some explaining...

i just finished a six-month road trip and needed to seriously clean my car. i removed everything--bed box, mats, all the other random crap including a random bag of gear in my car to vacuum it. forgot to put the bag back in, drove off, and when i realized it and came back it was gone. so...yeah...kind of a stoner move on my part--if only i was actually stoned.

anyway, this is killing me. open to any suggestions of getting gear back. i already talked to the owner and filed a police report. :(

Patrick Deliman · · Bear valley CA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 150

Keep an eye on Craigslist.com any city within a couple hours. I've heard of people selling climbing gear on the streets in SF I think someone from MP bought the gear for a killer deal then posted here and found the owner.
Best of luck
Patrick
I looked through Craigslist for SF sac Stoc Slo didn't see anything matching

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
nina.k wrote:forgot to put the bag back in, drove off, and when i realized it and came back it was gone. so...yeah...kind of a stoner move on my part
So the title of this thread is totally misleading.
It should be "Gear abandoned in SF Bay Area".
Hope you get your stuff back.
FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Seth Jones wrote:How long after you left did you come back to look for it? Our police have better things to do than try to track down gear that you left lying in a parking lot. In the future you might want to refrain from doing something as silly as filing a police report for your mistakes that the police have little chance of resolving. I hope you get your gear back though. Definitely sucks to lose valuable things.
I think leaving your gear behind is a boneheaded move, but I'm not sure filing a police report is "silly."

A police report might be required for an insurance claim (maybe not in this case) The police aren't going to form a task force to hunt down the culprits, though!

"So the title of this thread is totally misleading.
It should be "Gear abandoned in SF Bay Area".

If I had only 'abandoned' it for two hours, it would have been there when I got back.

Police report is necessary for insurance, not that that will cover the cost. Pretty much just lost. Highly don't recommend trying to be productive with a Migraine, my head wasn't all there.

In this little town though, the police just might not actually have much better to do then help stupid girls find their lost stuff!

Brian L. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 90

Crusty trad climber must have walked by and thought he found the mother-load of all booty! ;-)

Hope you find your stuff.

Brian L. wrote:Crusty trad climber must have walked by and thought he found the mother-load of all booty! ;-) Hope you find your stuff.
Haha! Right?!
Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,625

purple nail polish?!?!
NOOOOOOO! That's been my go to color for years, now everyone will think i got yer gear!!!
HA!
But good luck on the search, i hate feeling stupid, especially when i have done something....stoopid. Keep an eye for a few weeks on CL, someone is probably just sitting on it.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Lost and Found
Post a Reply to "Gear lost (likely stolen) in SF Bay Area"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started