Mountain Project Logo

Camping Options (including 'free' BLM and FS camping) at City of Rocks/Castle Rocks

Original Post
Mike Engle · · Pocatello, ID · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 8,994

Extensive info on camping options (including free camping on nearby BLM and Forest Service land) are posted as jpegs to the photo section of the main page for City of Rocks.

Graphical Map of Camping options in the Almo area: mountainproject.com/v/11215…

Text info on camping options and local amenities to overflow campers: mountainproject.com/v/11215… & mountainproject.com/v/11215…

The motivation for providing this information is related to the closure of climbing on private land north of Twin Sisters (see Access Note at the top of City of Rocks Mountain Project page). It is believed that trespassing and possibly illegal camping contributed to this closure.

CRAG will be addressing this closure and trying to find a way to open up the climbing north of Twind Sisters. Meanwhile, all users, please be mindful of the potential access issues and be respectful of any closures on private land or in the park's historical California Trail Area.

This info is provided by CRAG (Climbing Resource Advisory Group) which is a coalition of climbing coalitions formed to advocate and advise Castle Rocks and City of Rocks park officials on climbing related matters at both parks. CRAG membership includes representatives from Salt Lake Climber's Alliance, Boise, Climber's Alliance, East Idaho Climber's Coalition, South Idaho Climber's Coalition, Access Fund, American Alpine Club, Guide Concession representative, Dave Bingham (COR Guidebook author), and Hannah North (Almo resident and new route developer).

Andrew Gram · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 3,725

That is an awesome and much needed resource, but the map is really hard to read with the weird colors and fonts.

John Hegyes · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2002 · Points: 5,676

Thank you for the information. I found the map to be easy to read, with no weird fonts or colors. Nice work!

Yeah, I noticed it's less than ideal. It's better if viewed 'full size' but still not great. The original file is a powerpoint which I converted to jpeg. I will ask the author to improve the map, in the meantime I will re-type the text pages with a larger font. Thanks for your input.

Mike

OK, I took a stab at improving the readability of the map. I increased the font size across the board, changed to the camping icon font, and added color highlights. The jpeg is still a little fuzzy but I think if you view the 'full size' it is a little better than before. I updated the link on the City of Rocks main page and in my original forum post.

Here is a link to the revised map as well: mountainproject.com/v/11215…

Let me know if this will work.

Regards,
Mike

NickO · · West Slope · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 30

Updated link isn't working for me. Anyone else? Thanks for this map Mike. Super helpful.

Oops, missed one. Now all the map links should point to the same revised map (original post and links on the main City of Rocks page). Let me know if there are any other problems.

Cheers!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Camping Options (including 'free' BLM and FS ca…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started