Mountain Project Logo

Did your gear get stolen? Fort Collins area

Original Post
Andrew Lee Climbernerd · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

I recently found a killer deal on Craigslist: a set of cams, slings, biners, a handful of quickdraws, slacklines, 4 pairs of shoes etc. for a super low price. The guy who sold it to me said he didn't have time to climb anymore because of school, but I wanted to double check and make sure this gear wasn't stolen out of someone's car or something. If you think this is your gear, comment with the brand and color of the backpack, the color of the tape marker on the biners, and two of the models of shoes. If it's your gear I want to get it back to you. Cross-posted in lost and found.

Daniel H Bryant · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 320

Not everyone selling climbing gear is trying to get top dollar for used pro.

I got a full rack for $50 off of craigslist, the guy I bought from broke his ankle and was selling all of his high risk sport gear, he lost all interest.

As a community we need to make it a rule, the moment you buy new it should depreciate by 10% (your germs are on it now), general use at 40%, and taken a fall(s) at 75%........blows my mind people selling worn out pro for next to new.

Andrew Lee Climbernerd · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

It was close to a triple rack in good condition, plus a decent bit of other gear, for $100. I just wanted to perform due diligence and check.

SW Marlatt · · Arvada, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 50

Andrew -

First, good on you for doing the right thing and checking w/ the community. If everyone did this, it might not reduce the amount of gear getting stolen, but it might help get some stuff back to its rightful owner.

Second - the gear is now even more used, so you should mark it down another 10% and sell it to John. :-)

swm

Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 40

That's a fuckin hell of a deal. Ill give you $200 and you can double your money!

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969
Daniel H. Bryant wrote:Not everyone selling climbing gear is trying to get top dollar for used pro. I got a full rack for $50 off of craigslist, the guy I bought from broke his ankle and was selling all of his high risk sport gear, he lost all interest. As a community we need to make it a rule, the moment you buy new it should depreciate by 10% (your germs are on it now), general use at 40%, and taken a fall(s) at 75%........blows my mind people selling worn out pro for next to new.
Or you could simply allow for the used gear market to naturally follow supply and demand... there is a reason why we get a new "WTB: DMM Alloy Offsets" every week and accordingly they are often sold for near MSRP.
Daniel H Bryant · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 320
Nick Sweeney wrote: they are often sold for near MSRP.
Would you pay near msrp for a used set of tires?

My Dad used to tell me, there will always be deals.
The question is, can you sit tight with your money till they come along?
Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969
Daniel H. Bryant wrote: Would you pay near msrp for a used set of tires? My Dad used to tell me, there will always be deals. The question is, can you sit tight with your money till they come along?
No, I wouldn't, but many other people would. That's how supply and demand works! YAY ECONOMICS!
JeffL · · Salt Lake City · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 65

Color slack line and size shoes? My buddy had his car broken into in Slc

Mark Hammond · · Eldorado Springs, CO · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 466

Sounds suspicious for $100.
Hey JeffL
I think it would be traditional for YOU to name the color and shoe size. If you (or your friend) don't know, then...

JeffL · · Salt Lake City · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 65

My buddy said he had webbing, not a slack line. Sounds like it's not his.

Rick Blair · · Denver · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 266

If you price something too high, no one will buy it. If there is a buyer, the price is right.

keithconn · · LI, NY · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 35

Dude. Are you kidding?!? Take your new gear and go climbing! If your really feeling guilty I'll give you $100 and include shipping to my address.

Brendan Blanchard · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 590
Daniel H. Bryant wrote:As a community we need to make it a rule, the moment you buy new it should depreciate by 10% (your germs are on it now), general use at 40%, and taken a fall(s) at 75%........blows my mind people selling worn out pro for next to new.
Okay, for one thing, 10% off the MSRP for a brand new item basically means you're overpaying for it, but nevermind that, you just can't quantify worth based on such simple terms. For another, there are items (think guidebooks) that appreciate in value based on circumstances entirely outside of your parameters—just look at the beat-to-shit copy of Bishop Bouldering (full version) at the gear shop in town, $110 when the original MSRP was $40ish. I still can't decide if it's worth it (to me) to try to sell my like new copy for more than that, even though it's a 100%+ return for me.

+1 to whoever didn't resort to making counter examples and just said "YAY ECON."
Jacqueline Niles · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 325
Andrew Lee Climbernerd wrote:I recently found a killer deal on Craigslist: a set of cams, slings, biners, a handful of quickdraws, slacklines, 4 pairs of shoes etc. for a super low price. The guy who sold it to me said he didn't have time to climb anymore because of school, but I wanted to double check and make sure this gear wasn't stolen out of someone's car or something. If you think this is your gear, comment with the brand and color of the backpack, the color of the tape marker on the biners, and two of the models of shoes. If it's your gear I want to get it back to you. Cross-posted in lost and found.
Good on ya, Andrew. :)
J. Albers · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 1,926
keithconn wrote:Dude. Are you kidding?!? Take your new gear and go climbing! If your really feeling guilty I'll give you $100 and include shipping to my address.
When did he say anything about feeling guilty? He is simply trying to be a good guy. And your response is to talk trash? F%cking wow. Get a life man.

Good on you Andrew for checking, even if it ends up that it was a square deal.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Did your gear get stolen? Fort Collins area"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started