Mountain Project Logo

Best single-stem, single-axle cam?

Original Post
Petsfed 00 · · Snohomish, WA · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 989

Now that wild country has started making camalots in all but name, the best single-stem "in-between" cam that I'm aware of is gone.

Any opinions on what's left? Are the demon cams just tech friends with funky slings? Am I reduced to using rock empire? Will years of bad mouthing metolius cams taste like nutritious and delicious crow (in their defense, they hold falls great! I just can't place one without damn near fixing it)?

To be clear, most of my rack is camalots, but I like having other brands around for when black diamond isn't quite right.

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

I've never had any problems placing a master cam. I think they are great. I still prefer C4s, for the range, but if I rack a double rack then I go with C4 and Master Cam for options. I also really really like Totems. The more I use them the more I like them.

Trevor. · · Boise, ID · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 830

Brian, Totem cams are single axle and definitely worth considering. I've found their range is slightly offset with their BD counterparts, just enough to cover those placements where no Camalot fits well. If you wanna take mine for a spin, let me know.

By the way, I still want those photos from last fall at the creek!

ChadMartino · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 45

My doubles rack consists of a set of C4s and a set of Helium Friends. I have placed my Yellow 2.5 Friend more often than any other cam within that range and I feel the WC Friends walk less. They will definitely compliment your rack of C4s and basically fill in all the gaps. That being said, for the really small sizes I always go for the Master Cams

Peter BrownWhale · · Randallstown, MD · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 21

The new metolius ultralight mastercams are pretty frickin' sweet

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Best single-stem, single-axle cam?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.