Mountain Project Logo

What does your Woody look like???

Nathan Self · · Louisiana · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 90
jackson wrote:for those with a moon board out there, do you suppose that there is enough room bet err the grid for more holds? Example, the grid is on a 8" square, could you put another t-nut/hold in the middle of each square. Since what everyone seems to say is that the moon holds/problems are small, fingers, HARD I feel like there must be some accessible space between all the crimps for more positive warm up holds.
Not a moon board setup, but on an 8" grid.
The hanger should give an idea of scale.

Dan Austin · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 0
jackson wrote:for those with a moon board out there, do you suppose that there is enough room bet err the grid for more holds? Example, the grid is on a 8" square, could you put another t-nut/hold in the middle of each square. Since what everyone seems to say is that the moon holds/problems are small, fingers, HARD I feel like there must be some accessible space between all the crimps for more positive warm up holds.
http://boulderingathenscounty.blogspot.com/2016/07/building-moonkilter-hybrid-board.html
Tobias Burgess · · Lincoln · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 30
llanSan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 130
T Burgess wrote:
smart
Eric K · · Leavenworth, WA · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 45

Here's my outdoor setup. I call it the "Chalet Training Center"
Fraser33 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 5

Currently being dismantled for imminent house-move. I built it to train for a long-term, project route I had, but about a week later it was announced that construction was starting on a fantastic new bouldering wall only 10 minutes away!

Jeff Welch · · Dolores, CO · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 282
Paul Vervalin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 41

This is what my wife wanted for her birthday!!! Lucky me :-) And in our Master bedroom of all places. At least the bed is a soft place to fall. The 4x8 panel on the left swings down from vertical to 45 degrees (or anywhere in between)

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280

Excellent!! I say it adds a huge value to home resale price,,but reality tells me that realtors don't see this the same way that we do. Nice way it fits into the room for easy use !!!

Thanks!!. It's completely freestanding and bolted together in panels. The only modification to the house was the two huge eyebolts installed to hold the adjustable angled wall. So, we're taking it with us if and when we move :-)

Does the part with variable angle move when you are climbing or when you push with your feet when you have the hands on the roof?.

Do you block the wall from behind or just rely on the weight of the panel?.

what system did you use for the angle (chains, slings, steel wire rope)?

Sanllan,

The variable angle wall is rock solid when climbing on it. I did attach the lower section to the wall at the hinge point (there are 5 4" hinges) though with like 3 screws through a 2x6 because initially it had a little wobble. That fixed the issue. I suppose if you were totally on the roof section and pushed hard with your feet near the top of the angled wall you could get it to move. I haven't done that yet but it's a good observation. So far the weight of the panel has been sufficient though. I put two 3/8" eye-hooks into the wall at the very top of the 12' ceiling to minimize the forces placed on them by the wall. I also used 3/8" eye-bolts in the wall section about a foot down from the top. The chain is just from the hardware store and is rate to 800 lbs of force.

Paul Vervalin wrote:Sanllan, The variable angle wall is rock solid when climbing on it. I did attach the lower section to the wall at the hinge point (there are 5 4" hinges) though with like 3 screws through a 2x6 because initially it had a little wobble. That fixed the issue. I suppose if you were totally on the roof section and pushed hard with your feet near the top of the angled wall you could get it to move. I haven't done that yet but it's a good observation. So far the weight of the panel has been sufficient though. I put two 3/8" eye-hooks into the wall at the very top of the 12' ceiling to minimize the forces placed on them by the wall. I also used 3/8" eye-bolts in the wall section about a foot down from the top. The chain is just from the hardware store and is rate to 800 lbs of force.
Nice Setup.

I´m using Steel wire rope. but I have issues with the panels because they move on the sides. even when I tight the wire.
Sanllan wrote: Nice Setup. I´m using Steel wire rope. but I have issues with the panels because they move on the sides. even when I tight the wire.
Did you use 2x6 construction or 2x4? I also have bracers between the studs to prevent twisting.
Paul Vervalin wrote: Did you use 2x6 construction or 2x4? I also have bracers between the studs to prevent twisting.
I use 2x6 only in the roof. the rest 2x4´s even in the part of a 43 angle.
Sanllan wrote: I use 2x6 only in the roof. the rest 2x4´s even in the part of a 43 angle.
So, you might be able to place some cross-bracing 2x4 running horizontally between the studs to reduce some of this movement if you don't already have them.
Johnny Kipp · · St Albert Alberta · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 105
Paul Vervalin wrote:This is what my wife wanted for her birthday!!! Lucky me :-) And in our Master bedroom of all places. At least the bed is a soft place to fall. The 4x8 panel on the left swings down from vertical to 45 degrees (or anywhere in between)
Best headboard ever!
TBlom · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2004 · Points: 360

Nothing like a little chalk in bed for those intimate moments!

Tyman · · Hanover,pa · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 25

Not a "woody" but my first prototype hanger
Kathie R · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 260

Hello guys! My husband and I are building our own woody this year and it took a while to get all that we needed to finally get started. We waited for deals on different sites (mostly craigslist) and knew that if we were patient enough we'd get holds over there for a steal. We got 600+ holds for a little over $1000 (e-grips mostly) and they are amazing! We also found 2 cordless gym pads 70x58x12 for $120 and we couldn't be happier with the quality. Now, all that's left to do is build! My husband and I are going to have some free time in early January and we will start the project then. I'd like some help from anyone in Colorado about finding deals on screw on t-nuts as well as tips on how to go about starting the project. Our basement is about 350sq feet with a height of about 8 feet. We are going to use about 3/4 of the space and leave a small corner for storage. We've drawn up plans but are not quite set on the design yet.

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started