Mountain Project Logo

Draws taken off the white wall at The Pit

Original Post
Simon Fitting · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined May 2015 · Points: 80

I left the 2nd, 3rd and 4th draw on total recall at the pit on Aug. 27th because it got dark and I was coming back the next day anyway. When I came back on the 28th around 12:30 someone had taken the 2nd and 3rd draw. I felt crazy for a second, their... their gone! The missing draws were a thin bone, orange black diamond and a short petzl djinn. The 4th was still hanging, I guess this person didn't want to part with any of their own gear as I foolishly had done. I know this is my damn fault, the pit is a pretty popular place so I should have expected something like this to happen but the whole thing just left me feeling a little bummed out. I mean its one thing if you booty a draw that was obviously used to bail on and it was there for while but 3 draws in a row!? And it happened in less than 18 hours, 10 of which were dark! Also, after overhearing my obvious displeasure of the situation, someone mentioned to me that they had seen someone aiding up my draws earlier in the day. They didn't get a good look but said it looked a little out of place.

Look, I understand the lure of free gear dangling on a wall but common, don't be a jerk. Use common sense and seriously, if your at a sport climbing crag and you cant climb up to the gear with your hands, sure as hell don't aid up it and take stuff unless its yours! Anyway, if you feel like you might have been a character in this little story you can leave the draws somewhere secret and message me their location. That would be cool, Thanks!

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175

LOL

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
ScoJo · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 481

Sorry about your draws dude. People need to learn that taking draws is theft.

In this case, it sounds like the thieves weren't even interested in climbing the route (aiding up your draws, using the last one to bail).

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

Another: mountainproject.com/v/draws…

Maybe the mods can create a master thread: Left my shit on a route and it's gone now.

Draw Thief · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 70

1 Jackson in the bank.

Marc Yamamoto · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 20

Still do not understand why other climbers feel this is okay. Even if you ethically disagree with it, theft is theft.

Would these same people steal $20 out of your car if your windows where down?

Sorry to year your draws were taken. The college students are back in town this week.

Joseph Crotty · · Carbondale, CO · Joined Nov 2002 · Points: 1,903

Bummer. Best of luck getting them back. As usual the pro bootie crowd takes no prisoners regardless of the circumstances.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

It's quite simple: leave stuff on a climb and it may or may not be there when you return. Project draws are a risk - some people leave them, others see them as booty.

Simon Fitting · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined May 2015 · Points: 80

Yeah that Chris Kalous article is pretty right on. The asshole/not an asshole thing was pretty much exactly my take. Really I'm not even mad, its its more of a motherly disappointed thing in peoples attitudes around climbing. Taking shit thats not yours is an asshole thing to do. The thread was more about that than getting the draws back anyway. Unfortunately, Joseph Crotty is probably right.

[edit]
And for the record, sport climbing wasn't invented fucking yesterday! Its pretty common practice that people leave draws on their projects. Its just a select few who don't get it or just choose not too. Read the Chris Kalous article, he puts it pretty plainly!

Chase Bowman · · Durango, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 1,010
MarcYY wrote: Would these same people steal $20 out of your car if your windows where down?
Funny you make that comparison, I left a 20 dollar bill at the base of this exact climb overnight for safe keeping, but when I returned two days later it was G..O..N..E GONE!! I couldn't believe that someone would just think its okay to take my hard earned money like that.

Full circle. People who steal draws are not going to change. People who leave project draws are going to leave project draws. Oh well. Doesn't mean that it isn't an asshole thing to do. We all have a different line that we would cross. Difference between ethics and law.

Rob WardenSpaceLizard · · las Vegans, the cosmic void · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 130

Quicklinks and a wrench? Thats what i do to mine.

Bill Czajkowski · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 20

Early birdasshole and the worm.

JK- Branin · · NYC-ish · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 56
MarcYY wrote:http://www.splitterchoss.com/2011/01/06/the-only-rule-dont-be-an-hole/
How have I never seen this before?! This is awesome.
Chase Bowman · · Durango, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 1,010
Rob Warden, Space Lizard wrote:Quicklinks and a wrench? Thats what i do to mine.

+1
Georgehh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

Every time this thread pops up there is a slew of climbers arguing how it's unethical and acting totally surprised this happened. Seriously? I think the vast majority of people that post the "leave your stuff and the crag and some one will take it" comments agree it's unethical and stealing. However, there is always some jerk that doesn't share your ethos in life and will gladly pocket your draws. Unfortunately, draws will keep disappearing and we will keep having to listen to the same comments over and over. It really is like leaving 20 bucks out. You might not feel it's ethical to take it, your friends might not think its ethical to take it, but there are loads of people that just don't care and also climb.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Draws taken off the white wall at The Pit "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started