Mountain Project Logo

Red Rock campsite availability?

Original Post
Hal Aljibury · · San Diego, CA · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 15

Nevada being a gambling state, what kind of odds would you figure a person could get on whether or not a campsite would be available at Red Rock at 10pm Oct 7th (ie, Friday night)?

My guess is >90% chance they're all taken... What say you all?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

Find a cheap hotel room. That campground has got to be one of the worst I've ever seen.

Matt Kuehl · · Las Vegas · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,712

I would actually be surprised if the campground was full that early in the season.

Brandon Alke · · Helena MT. · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 10

If it's anything like late Feb, early March I'd say good luck.

John Hegyes · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2002 · Points: 5,676

I'd say there is a 40% chance that the campground is full at that date and time.

Roy Suggett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 8,978

I remember the day when you could just drive in no matter the day or time...this is an honest plea for population control.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

I still don't get why people complain so much about that campsite. I thought it was fine, but then I was also pretty psyched out to be camping in the desert in the first place so maybe I'm easy.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Ted Pinson wrote:I still don't get why people complain so much about that campsite.
Barren. Shade-less. Ugly. Attracts some sketch characters.
If you've camped in the desert a reasonable amount you know there are far better CGs.
Mike T · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 106

Get a room at the Bonnie Springs Motel. 10% off for AAA, Military, Vegas Locals... A standard room is $100 weekends and $85 weekdays. There's a restaurant here. There's a pool. There's free coffee. It's the most centrally located spot for any crag in the escarpment. 1 stop sign, 6 minutes from the Loop Road entrance.

It ain't camping, but it's a lot better than springing for a shitty room in town. Especially if you roll into the campground at 10PM and it's full. Bonnie Springs Motel only gets full if there are no rooms in town because there's a big UFC fight or something like that.

JK- Branin · · NYC-ish · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 56
Marc801 wrote:Find a cheap hotel room. That campground has got to be one of the worst I've ever seen.
+1

The camp sites suck, and through a travel site you can usually find a hotel (with breakfast) for no more than 10-15 bucks more.
Andrew Williams · · Concord, NH · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 625

Stayed at the El Cortez in February, room was about $24 a night Monday-Thursday, right at the end of Fremont Street. Weekends are more expensive, but all Vegas hotels follow that same pattern. The campground isn't bad I suppose, $15 a night is a bit pricey for what it is, but J-Tree was about the same. Though if you snag a pavilion site your good. Gotta get good at the early morning site hunting.

Ball · · Oakridge, OR · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 70
Ted Pinson wrote:I still don't get why people complain so much about that campsite. I thought it was fine, but then I was also pretty psyched out to be camping in the desert in the first place so maybe I'm easy.
I guess it wasn't windy, or hot, or on the same planet...
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Red Rock campsite availability?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started