Mountain Project Logo

Route Development in Quebec

Original Post
Db5504 · · Shippensburg, PA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 951

As an 18 armchair traveler, I was browsing Google Maps and stumbled upon a decent looking cliff northwest of Quebec City. By decent looking, I'm talking two plus miles of sustained cliff line, between 200 and 600 feet tall. Although I don't personally have enough experience to develop such a massive area, I figured I would put this out there for someone who may have the experience, and means, to develop this cliff line. The coordinates are as follows:
47.154885, -71.633949
It appears to be just outside of the Laurentides Wildlife Preserve, and about 12 miles due east of Gros Bonnet. Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

David Gibbs · · Ottawa, ON · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2

Quebec has a lot of interesting cliffs, especially north/east of Quebec city.

petzl logic · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 730

There's lots of stuff in Quebec to develop but also lots of red tape. I doubt that it is unclimbed but good luck finding info as a non-French speaker.

I just discovered a really nice 50m cliff near the border of Ontario and Quebec but the property owner said no. People are terrified about get sued up here and even in the parkland it seems like you can run into a lot of rules.

Look at Crown Land, that's the best bet to do what you want.

I'm assuming Crown Land is federally owned, correct?

Also, I have a working knowledge of French, luckily, and still have not been able to find any information on the cliff line in question.

Db5504 wrote:I'm assuming Crown Land is federally owned, correct?
Yeah, that's basically what it means. Closed equivalent in the US might be BLM land.
ml242 wrote: Look at Crown Land, that's the best bet to do what you want.
Do you know a good way to tell whether land in Quebec is crown land or not?

(Ontario has an online resource that I can use for the Ontario side, but I haven't found anything equivalent for Quebec.)
ml242 wrote:https://www.mern.gouv.qc.ca/territoire/planification/planification-affectation.jsp
That is awesome! Thank you very much.

No worries, find me something good too!

So it appears that at least three of the five or so cliff lines that I could identify are on Crown Land. They're in the Capitale-Nationale Region, about 26 KM upstream of Saint Raymond.

It looks like a 12 hour drive for you, do you go that way often?

Not really, but I'm already planning a trip to the Festival d'Ete de Quebec next summer, so I figure that I can plan about a 3 week trip up there so I can visit the cliff at least 8 or 9 times throughout my stay.

Jeff Rivard · · Ottawa · Joined Sep 2019 · Points: 15

Hey, could this, https://www.mountainproject.com/area/118058247/bras-du-nord-valley, potentially be the area you're referring to?

Peace!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Route Development in Quebec"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.