Mountain Project Logo

Certain climbers and their destructive ways

Original Post
Yeego Yi'naa · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 35
bit.ly/2bA15by

There is so many ways to respond to this, and I'm trying to maintain an authentic composure. I do sincerely hope that rock climbers respect the natural world. A few bad apples ruin the whole basket. Anything to do with Indigenous history is hard to grasp and appreciate, but please make an effort to at least regard ancient art.
Rick Blair · · Denver · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 266

Gotta do better than this:
"along with pitons hammered into the rock faces by climbers."

When were the pitons put in? Where are they, on the art itself or nearby? etc?

Frank Stein · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 205

I don't know, but this does not quite pass the smell test for me. I'm a little familiar with this area, & with relative abundance of good bouldering, sport climbing, as well as trad within close proximity of the tularosa basin, I don't why climbers would bother with scrappy boulders covered by obvious petroglyphs. And who pounds pitons these days?

I must however note that there is not altogether unearned animosity towards climbers in the Lincoln national forest.

Doug Hemken · · Madison, WI · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 13,680

I'd have to see some verification that these are actually pitons, and if they are, some reason to think that a climber placed them. Seems like an off-hand assertion.

It's a shame such an important site is being desecrated, and I hope they can find a way to stop the vandalism.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Certain climbers and their destructive ways"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started