Mountain Project Logo

El Potrero Chico 4G Connectivity

Original Post
JSlack · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 155

I am heading to El Potrero Chico this January and will need to get some work done while I'm down there. Unfortunately, the internet at Posada, El Buho, etc. is not fast enough to meet my needs, so I'm planning on using a Verizon Hotspot. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there good 4G coverage down there (from Verizon or any other provider)?

Daniel Siegel · · Denver, CO · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 415

I had pretty good coverage with Tmobile. They have agreements with mexican cellular compainies.

Johnathan C · · Missouri · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 85

I'm about to find out how well Sprint's Global Roaming works. I'll let you know how it goes, although, idk if it would be the easiest option to commit to if you're not already a Sprint customer...

J Slack, I'll be at El Búho the whole season, so maybe I'll see you down there in January.

And Daniel! You going this year?

DWF 3 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 186

If I remember correctly you'll have LTE as long as you're on the east side of the canyon.

Daniel Siegel · · Denver, CO · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 415

Jonathan,
I'm not sure. Still trying to pin down my winter plans. Are you interning at Buho this winter?

Daniel,

I'll be down there the whole season, man. Oct. - Apr.

Ryan McDermott · · Pittsburgh, PA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 110

Anybody know what the data situation is at Ariel's Chalet? One of the attractions for me is that they don't have Internet. Would be nice to be in an actual data blackout area when at "home" (yes, I know I can turn the data off, but you know how the data habit goes ;-)

BrianWS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 790

I have verizon, and I rarely got any signal at the Chalet - when I did, it was super weak. One of my partners has t-mobile, and he had a bit better luck with data - but still weak.

The Farley · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 30

Ryan-

Good to see a familiar name here and that you are out climbing. Two seasons ago I only had verizon service when out of the canyon. Do not recall the quality.

Cheers and happy sending-

If you're wanting to use the Verizon hotspot, I know that Verizon works well in the canyon and in town for a friend of mine, but I can't speak for any of the campgrounds in particular.

Ryan McDermott · · Pittsburgh, PA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 110
The Farley wrote:Ryan- Good to see a familiar name here and that you are out climbing. Two seasons ago I only had verizon service when out of the canyon. Do not recall the quality. Cheers and happy sending-
Hi Farley, Thanks for the reply. Do I know you? I'm in Pittsburgh these days, have always been climbing East Coast, though spent college in CA, and some time in China. Lots of Ryan McDermotts around, especially out here.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "El Potrero Chico 4G Connectivity"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started