Mountain Project Logo

Alien failure?

Original Post
mike again · · Ouray · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 47

I am assuming there is no fix for this, but thoughts welcome.
Would get a totem basic to replace... but can't find one to buy!

alien

alien a

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

Wait a couple of weeks and keep an eye out for the Totem Basics... I know of several retailers that have basics on order this month.

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

Does the cam still work? It just looks like the axle is a wee bit long. Like it was designed that way to prevent binding. Not any different than the numerous threads asking the same thing about Camalots.

Am I missing something? Nothing else seems out of place.

Dhayan Roark · · Crowley Lake, CA · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 10

did the nut come off of the axle? i had a blue cch alien where the exactly same thing happened! piece of shit!

rocknice2 · · Montreal, QC · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 3,847
dhayan wrote:did the nut come off of the axle? i had a blue cch alien where the exactly same thing happened! piece of shit!
Check this first^^^^^

If the axle is fully threaded into the nut the the problem is that the stem isn't centered on the axle. Push the axle up as per your photo.
mike again · · Ouray · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 47
rocknice2 wrote: Check this first^^^^^ If the axle is fully threaded into the nut the the problem is that the stem isn't centered on the axle. Push the axle up as per your photo.
How do I tell whether the axle is fully threaded?

What I notice is that the the rod that runs through the middle of each lobe and the stem (the axle?) is longer than the others, leaving space between the lobes, and mobile in that I can push it back and forth.

Is it threaded in there? I will try to tighten the ends of the axle, but thoughts on method for doing this would be welcome. Thanks.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Alien failure? "

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.