Mountain Project Logo

Is a Camalot 4 Supposed to do this?

Original Post
Jeff K · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 205

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, my searching only found the same question on Supertopo but there didn't seem to be a conclusive answer.

I was going through my gear and noticed the axles on my #4 sticking out about 1/4" from the outer lobe (see first pic). I played around with the lobes and was able to wiggle the two lobes on that side to the end of the axles, but that left an odd gap on the inside (see second pic). This doesn't seem right to me, especially because the lobes seem to need to be pushed inward like in the first photo to make the whole unit symmetrical. Obviously, this is functional, but it does not seem like it should be like this. Is this common with others' cams?

#4 Axle

#4 Axle 2

charlienw · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 75

I would contact BD customer support and see what they have to say about it.

StatJuan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 10
patto · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 25

BD cams have more cam 'float' than others. They have claimed it is a feature not a bug. I don't see an issue.

Harry Netzer · · Roxbury, CT · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 145

Mine do the same, it's normal

Thank you for the replies, they were helpful.

Khoi · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 45

My Camalots do that too.

Never had any problems with their functionality or effectiveness.

BD just let me know the following:

"Definitely not a defect. We build our camalots so that they are floating on the axle. This allows for the cam to be much more versatile in placements, and would be major issues if they weren’t designed this way. The float can especially be visible on our larger cams like the #4, #5, and #6, and at times can be as much as the width of one of the lobes. If you would like you can hit the cam on the opposite side (don’t be shy here) and you will see that the lobes will redistribute to the other side of the device."

So that settles that. Thanks for the input from everyone and glad to get a direct response from BD.

gavinsmith · · Toronto, Ontario · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 86

Exactly the same thread I started a couple years ago, even about the same cam. mountainproject.com/v/whats…

It's normal.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Is a Camalot 4 Supposed to do this?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started