Mountain Project Logo

best jacket for cold weather?

Original Post
Lydia and Kona · · Barre · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 5

I need a new jacket for climbing/hiking/skiing on COLD days. I find it hilarious when jacket descriptions say the jacket is great on "frigid" days and then you look at the tech specs and reviews."great on those 0 degree days"

Can anyone recommend a jacket that can routinely handle a -60 or so windchill and still work to hike back up the hill? I don' care what the suggested gender is.

On another note just to rant...why on earth do all women's jackets include things like "flattering fit".."emphasize curves"..."keep you warm and looking good"...

Ray Pinpillage · · West Egg · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 180

Because women are superficial.

Ray....I'm a woman and I don't get it....

My wife wanted new approach shoes so I asked her what was important. She said she wanted the shoes to be purple.

I assume this is trollenor's newest account; a -60 jacket you can climb, hike, and ski in?

Tradgic Yogurt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 55

As someone who has been doing research for a job where -60 could arguably be termed a warm day for a good part of the year, layers. Multiple layers, wool or synthetic, definitely no cotton. There is no such thing as a single layer to keep you warm at -60, it doesn't physically exist because the layers have to move moisture away from your skin while your body temp rises or falls with activity level.

If you up your google fu, you'll find the info you seek.

nolanwpeterson.com/so-what-…

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236
featheredfriends.com/expedi…
Tons of people hike/climb in these.
Rick Blair · · Denver · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 266

-60 windchill is not the same as -60. A hoodie that allows enough room in the neck to put insulation without being too loose. Have a down puffy in your pack.

that guy named seb wrote:http://featheredfriends.com/expedition-down-suit.html Tons of people hike/climb in these.
FF just needs to add some fur details on the hood for those days on the slopes.

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114
"Technical" Jacket

https://vimeo.com/27120000
Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

Uh, guyssss, hate to tell ya this, but she has a page, with actual contributions on it, lives in some Barre place, which my who cares it isn't the west brain believes just might be Vermont, rumored to have snow, and, uhhhh, has skiing and her dog as interests....

Jussst sayin.

You'll get some reasonable responses too. Remember, anyone who's looking at this isn't climbing. Or mowing the lawn. Or doing what ever they're paid to do.

In the meantime, there's a pretty hefty thread on the Mountaineering forum detailing clothes for Rainier, maybe another in Gear for Rainier also, one called Puffy vs. fleece, you get the idea. Got those by searching "layers". Didn't find any chickens, surprisingly.

JK- Branin · · NYC-ish · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 56
Jason Todd wrote: *picture/video*
The hell?
mountainproject.com/u/old-l…

Thank you,
Yes I'm a real person looking for help finding a good jacket. I'll Check out the suggested forums. I originally started this thread after days of combing the internet for jackets and not finding anything worthwhile under $500.
My current Columbia 3 in 1 was great for day skiing in Colorado, but even with layers it just can't handle New England night skiing. In Colorado I found a baselayer, sweater, vest, fleece and shell to be more than than sufficient on cold days. Maybe I just need a good puffy uunderneath.
Watching guys be assholes when they don't like the a way someone asks a question is kinda funny.
Gunks Jesse · · Shawangunk Township, NY · Joined May 2014 · Points: 111

Hey Lydia - I've skied and hiked in all of the areas you just mentioned as has my wife. We use very similar layering systems as follows:

Base: merino wool undies and long sleeve top
My wife adds in a thicker 260 weight 1/4 zip merino top over the upper layer. I don't.
Down sweater is next. This is a lighter weight down jacket, but not the ultralight weight deal. I switched over to a Patagonia synthetic nano air. It's stretchy and light and super warm, plus more durable for fall and spring climbing as an outer layer.
For super cold days (as in I know there is no chance of getting wet) I top it off with a heavy weight down jacket I got super cheap from lands end. I think I picked it up for $15 new. Similar in warmth to the $400 Patagonia fitz down jacket.
For warmer days I skip the giant down and wear a gore-Tex pro shell. No features to it save two harness friendly pockets. It's utilitarian and I love it. My wife does the same thing, but she tends to wear her shell on most days and rarely gets out the giant puffy. She says the wind proofing is enough to keep her warm and seal in the heat.

When I backcountry ski in New England nights after work I skin up in a 150 weight wool base layer and an arc fortrez hoody. This works for me down to about -10F windchill because I'm generating lots of heat going up. I pull a down puffy out at the top. We sit and have a beer, and I'm perfect when we get back to the car 15 minutes later.

Thanks Gunks Jesse!

Rick Blair · · Denver · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 266

Now that I know what exactly you are doing. I grew up ski racing, I have been a ski instructor, back country skier, now the dad of 2 racers and soon to be race coach. What does all that mean? I have spend a lot of time in crappy conditions out in the cold and I have had to deal with other's getting cold.

I would talk more to women first of all. Women tend to have worse circulation and slower metabolisms.

You are focussing on core heat but there are tradeoffs when you start piling on insulation. Focus on your head, neck and extremities. Get some good gloves ( Hestra or BD Guide or similar ) find some down mittens, they pack down to nothing, and keep them inside your coat to alternate with your gloves on the lift. Get custom fitted boot liners and hot-tronics. The hot-tronics work well but nothing with make your feet colder than a poor fit as it cuts of circulation.

I also recommend taking a few runs, let your body feel the temp and start making metabolism changes to cope. Then go inside and warm up. When you go back out you should be warmer.

This is assuming you are talking about ski area skiing.

Thanks Rick Blair,
I was a ski instructor too I and I know how to layerup and accessorize to stay warm but I need a good coat! The mountain issue Karbon was amazing but I've found the women's version's just aren't as good. It's all null and void if the outer layer isn't holding up. Do you know anything that has the insulation and length of the older Karbon or spider jackets but has the strength needed for rougher terrain. I guess my posts make it seam like I'm asking how to stay warm, but I've got all the right accessories,underelayers, boots..etc just looking for jacket recommendations as I've been disappointed with my last couple picks!

mountaindoc · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

I don't know about women's jackets, but I agree with the layering.

tight baselayer
midweight layer (zipper on both)
softshell
maybe toss gortex shell in here depending on preference, location
down puffy for when the wind hits and the summit

I would just scan the top brands, arcteryx, black diamond, mountain hardwear, north face, Rab, patagonia, marmot. Most of the websites have a filter for mountaineering/alpine/down insulation. Even Eddie bauer is getting some pretty good alpine kit these days

Usually the price will tell you how warm it is, plus description will often say alpine, or mountaineering, or some websites list appropriate activities.

I use black diamond cold forge parka (ridic sale on this right now) over a layering system

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "best jacket for cold weather?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started