Mountain Project Logo

Hiking shoes

Original Post
Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150

Please don't hurt me but it's another shoe thread! It's for hiking shoes so I guess that's less of a sin.

I'm looking for recommendations for a wide hiking shoe with a square toe box to fit my Flinstone like duck feet. I would use them for hiking and ultra light backpacking.

Just for some background I find the Keen regular and Lowa wides to be too narrow.

Thanks for your help!

Emmett Lyman · · Stoneham, MA (Boston burbs) · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 480

I've got similar feet and find the best solution to be trail runners with lots of mesh on the sides. Sportiva boots don't fit me, but the Wildcats make great hikers because my feet can hang out over the soles.

Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75

Have you tried Altra Lone Peak or Olympus? They're lightweight trail runners but have been a staple in the PCT through hiker shoe quiver the past few years. Pretty flexible, so if you're looking for lots of support it may not be the best choice.

Edit: The Hoka Mafate could also be an option for you. Also I have not personally used them but the New Balance Leadville v3 looks like a great trail runner/light backpacking shoe with a Vibram sole and they come in 2E and 4E sizes.

Jim T · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 469

I really like these.
rei.com/product/810814/pata…
Discontinued but maybe they replaced it with something similar.

Roomy toe box, light weight, cheap, sole is firm enough that rocks don't poke your feet. Not sure if they are wide enough

Jim Turner wrote:I really like these. rei.com/product/810814/pata… Discontinued but maybe they replaced it with something similar. Roomy toe box, light weight, cheap, sole is firm enough that rocks don't poke your feet. Not sure if they are wide enough
Patagonia doesn't make shoes any longer, just fyi.

Yeah I'm supposed to have something with a better mid sole than EVA foam. That stuff is good for only 100 miles or so.

Clint White aka Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 151

I was going to rec the Lowa wide boots. Sounds like a tough fit. Maybe Danner can custom make a pair for you. They moved manufacturing back to the USofA for some of their high end boots.

Chad Miller wrote:Yeah I'm supposed to have something with a better mid sole than EVA foam. That stuff is good for only 100 miles or so.
I feel ya, PU lasts much longer. Do you have custom orthotics? Those can increase midsole support. And I'd argue that EVA lasts over 100mi, I'd say 200-400 depending on the construction and use. But I get what you're saying.

Yeah I have custom orthotics. My foot doc told me that EPA foam actually breakes down without use and in reality lasts only 100 miles before the built in mid sole has deteriorated to the point that it's not actually doing much if anything in terms of support. Nothing wrong with EVA, you just need to replace them more often. A PU sole was recommended for me, a bit stiffer and longer lasting support.

My doctor went onto say that the longest any shoe will last is around 500 miles. After that and you're going to need the sole / foot bed replaced.

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236

I have been wearing a merrel bare access for a while now and they are fantastic really nicely cushioned and the 0 drop and has done wonders for my over pronation, I may go for a less cushioned shoe next time to get even better foot strike.

Yeah I've tried minimalist shoes before. Not enough coucion for my fat ass.

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105
Chad Miller wrote:Yeah I've tried minimalist shoes before. Not enough coucion for my fat ass.
You need to train your way into it. It takes months.

Supportive shoes will just make your feet weaker and weaker.

I'm in the same boat, reliant on custom orthotics. My problem is that only one foot really "needs" it, so going barefoot / minimalist has a wildly asymmetric impact on my feet, knees, and hips. Still trying to figure out the best way forward.
that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236
Chad Miller wrote:Yeah I've tried minimalist shoes before. Not enough coucion for my fat ass.
You don't need minimalist shoes for 0 drop, a shoe like the altra olympus or the merrell bare access are plenty cushioned.

Padding for running yes. For backpacking, nope. Well at least for me with my little pissed off sesmoid bones.

I do prefer zero or minimal heel drop shoe though. .

Josh Platt · · High Country, NC · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 35

I've been wearing the New Balance MT10 for years. Not really a lot cushion but it's enough for me. Might want to check them out. Not as cushy as altras but more than say a Merrell bare access. And I also can put insoles in them for more support.

JD · · Southern AZ · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 95

duck foot = Altra shoes
great lineup

wish they included rock guards with every pair tho'

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Hiking shoes"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started