Mountain Project Logo

Mammoth Lakes Area During Labor Day

Original Post
NJB · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

Hey all,

My friend and I were planning on doing labor day weekend at mammoth. However, my coworker said last time he went it was a total zoo.

Up until recently I was a student and would avoid three day weekends like the plague. But as a fresh 9-5 er I don't really have any other option now. Does anyone know if it will be doable camping wise, or is it better to look elsewhere?

Also has anyone been to pine creek recently? Curious about the temperatures there.

Thanks for the help.

13mpg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 5

It was a zoo last weekend. My guess it will be even worse for this holiday weekend.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

Pine Creek was fine last Sunday.

MM is always a zoo....

Camping everywhere, just not at the lakes.

splitclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18

Mammoth was actually pretty quiet last weekend compared to the two weekends before. This weekend WILL be a zoo, but camping shouldn't be a problem unless you really need a campground campsite.

Taylor Mizusawa · · California · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0

Crystal crag wasn't too bad the past weekend

phylp phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,102

I climbed at Pine Creek for 2 days the beginning of August when it was 95 in Bishop and it was fine in the shade. That was the weekend both the Clark Canyon fire and the Rock Creek fire had started and we thought it best to avoid Mammoth. Frankly I was surprised it was so climbable.

grabski · · N California · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 105

Yeah Pine Creek should be gravy. I was up there last week and the conditions were nice (70s or so). You might get taunted by dark clouds and short rain-showers through the afternoon.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Mammoth Lakes Area During Labor Day"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started