Mountain Project Logo

Jetboil question

Original Post
David Pagel · · Milwaukee · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 180

I own a MiniMo currently and have an opportunity to get any other jetboil for a really cheap price. With the understanding of having the smaller one already, what other model would you recommend I purchase?

Clint White aka Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 151

Great deals are always a good score. I prefer the MSR Whisperlite Intl for flexibility. I started a fire once using rain drenched wood when we exhausted all our pre-packed tinder. We dried out our gear and warmed up the shivering body. Can't do that with a jetboil methinks. Maybe firing up the jetboil without the cup, then placing twigs on top? Lotsa plastic on that one.

I have rebuilt the stove and pump a couple times now. We had to get gaskets from an auto repair place recently, worked like a charm.

Has anyone had to replace their jetboil or warranty it? Always wondered.

Nathan G · · Utah · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 10

I have the Jetboil Flash and although I haven't used it a whole lot, I haven't had any problems with it. As far as using it to start a fire, you probably wouldn't want to put sticks on top of it. You could definitely use it to start a fire if you just tip it sideways though - light the sticks and let them burn on their own.

Daniel T · · Riverside, Ca · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 35

I have the Jetboil Zip, its a 0.8L capacity (slightly smaller) I like it. It boils water really quickly. Its my first real stove so I don't really have a comparison to any other stoves.

If you are looking for a bigger unit the only item that comes to mind is the jetboil Joule with a 2.5L capacity. But im not sure what your goals are for this extra unit.

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340

get a new jetboil(any model)....then take them both and trade em in for a MSR Windburner

Clint White aka Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 151

I should have asked what your objectives are. White gas works better than canister stoves at temps under freezing due to the heat of vaporization. The MSR Whisperlite can use canisters too. I think you invert the can to get liquid fuel out, then it is heated to boiling in the fuel prime loop. Things to consider:
cascadedesigns.com/msr/blog…

That Windburner sounds cool for windy situations. How does it stack up to melting lots of water for a pair in the alpine?

Tapawingo Markey · · Reno? · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 75
BigB wrote:get a new jetboil(any model)....then take them both and trade em in for a MSR Windburner
^this

What are you using it for? Just boiling water? I'd go with the MSR Windburner, more wind protection and it uses a radiant heating source rather than a direct flame so overall faster and more efficient.
frankstoneline · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 30

In this thread: a bunch of folks don't understand the question asked and tell the OP that the jetboil he should buy is an MSR not-jetboil. Glad ya'll stopped by...

Your mini mo is the same volume as a flash, which I think is a great size. Maybe go Sumo, or the basecamp stove thing if you want to ball out of control.

SteveS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2006 · Points: 2,420
frankstoneline wrote:In this thread: a bunch of folks don't understand the question asked and tell the OP that the jetboil he should buy is an MSR not-jetboil. Glad ya'll stopped by...
This is why the internet was invented. So glad I wasn't the only one to see that...
frankstoneline wrote:In this thread: a bunch of folks don't understand the question asked and tell the OP that the jetboil he should buy is an MSR not-jetboil. Glad ya'll stopped by...
Since the OP did say he gets a deal on a jet boil I understand but if you were on the market for something and there was a product considerably better out there would you not want someone to chime in and let you know?
Nick Drake · · Kent, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 651
Faulted Geologist wrote:That Windburner sounds cool for windy situations. How does it stack up to melting lots of water for a pair in the alpine?
If you want to melt snow you don't want a windburner or jetboil. The reactor blows them both out of the water in terms of time to melt snow. Skiing Shasta a few years back we had two jetboils and one reactor, the reactor was damn near twice as fast. My jetboil only comes on trips with running water now.
frankstoneline · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 30
Tapawingo wrote: Since the OP did say he gets a deal on a jet boil I understand but if you were on the market for something and there was a product considerably better out there would you not want someone to chime in and let you know?
Presumably the OP knows that other portable stove manufacturers exist, and asked specifically about an alternate Jetboil model to look into, though I'm sure he's impressed by/thankful for all the information he didn't ask for. You should start informing strangers on the street about the health impacts of their smoking habits as well. They probably want to know about the better options too.
frankstoneline wrote: Presumably the OP knows that other portable stove manufacturers exist, and asked specifically about an alternate Jetboil model to look into, though I'm sure he's impressed by/thankful for all the information he didn't ask for. You should start informing strangers on the street about the health impacts of their smoking habits as well. They probably want to know about the better options too.
I'll start informing strangers on the street about the health impacts of smoking if they start asking me about other cigarette options. Nothing like an Internet forum tough guy reprimanding someone trying to help out.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Jetboil question"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started